2019 Expedition making a bad sound when cold starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firstexp

Reaction score
just had same thing taken care of on our 2018 limited, 56k miles..cam phasers as noted above. Would have been a $2200 problem had I not got there under my powertrain warranty..they had the entire front of the engine apart to replace all 4. truck was in shop about a week.

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My cam phasers were replaced a handful of months ago and since then my rattling has actually gotten worse so I’m confident it’s my turbos not cam phasers.

Lots of posts in this subject but yes, cam phasers is always their first repair under warranty then if you’re lucky they replace turbos.

OP
OP
C

cdog2964

Reaction score
So, just an update on this, i got it back today and they said the oil filter caused the problem because it was aftermarket. Aside from that sounding like total BS, i have all my maintenance done by the dealer which means that they would have been the ones to put an aftermarket oil filter on it. His response was maybe they ran out of ford filters...

AllisonFT

Reaction score
I’ve had this issue, with the cam phasers, since I purchased mine new in July 2018. I thought it was just how they ran at first. Well Spet 2020 I had the dealership fix it. About a month ago I noticed they were already going bad again... honestly I love my expedition but came really close to getting rid of it due to this issue. Because of these forums and finding out they don’t really hurt the engine, I’m going to keep it. Other than the cam phasers, I’m really happy with my vehicle. Thanks all for posting!!

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, just an update on this, i got it back today and they said the oil filter caused the problem because it was aftermarket. Aside from that sounding like total BS, i have all my maintenance done by the dealer which means that they would have been the ones to put an aftermarket oil filter on it. His response was maybe they ran out of ford filters...

What B.S.! Fly that BS-flag man, never give your business to those scammers!!!

OP
OP
C

cdog2964

Reaction score
What B.S.! Fly that BS-flag man, never give your business to those scammers!!!
Oh, i know, but its documented and i did verify that i have the 100k Premium care extended service plan so i guess ill wait until the engine falls out... Not a lot of dealer choices where i live.

dwmarks

Reaction score
2018 Expedition Limited, 59,950 miles. Not a lick of trouble from this truck since new. This 3-4 second rattling on cold start problem started around 55,000 miles. Annoying but I didn't give it much thought until I read about it here. Since powertrain warranty was literally a few miles from expiring, rushed to dealer to demonstrate with a video. They wanted to hear in-person so I left it overnight for a morning cold-start. Next day, problem confirmed, parts ordered, should have it back by Friday afternoon, Monday at the latest. Free. Can't post on the result yet, but the customer service so far has been great. I'm trading this on a 2022 that I'm ordering in the Fall, but I figured if I could get it fixed under the powertrain warranty, why not? Just under the wire (that never happens)! Anyway, shout out to my dealer, Hoffman Ford in Harrisburg, PA who serves customers very well. And thank you to you guys for posting details in this forum.

OP
OP
C

cdog2964

Reaction score
Does anyone know what type of damage this does and what the eventual outcome will be? I really dont want to mess around with the dealer trying to get it fixed, but also would rather not have to replace the engine in the next couple of months. It is under warranty, but wondering what the least hassle route is? If it doesnt do anything to the engine or at least not in the near future, ill live with it, its its going to blow it up in the next couple of months i guess ill have to deal with it now.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Does anyone know what type of damage this does and what the eventual outcome will be? I really dont want to mess around with the dealer trying to get it fixed, but also would rather not have to replace the engine in the next couple of months. It is under warranty, but wondering what the least hassle route is? If it doesnt do anything to the engine or at least not in the near future, ill live with it, its its going to blow it up in the next couple of months i guess ill have to deal with it now.
You could get reduced power and a check engine light. I may not pass state inspection, depending where you live.