2019 Expedition making a bad sound when cold starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

cdog2964

Reaction score
I read somewhere in this forum that, it's covered under the Emission 8yr/80K warranty. Check with the dealer.
Thanks. I think i have plenty of runway given i have 100k extended warranty and it only has 20k on it, but i just dont want to get stranded somewhere.

GB19XLT

Reaction score
VCT issue. My ‘19 expedition is in the shop as we speak for it. Been in there for over a week now. Crossing fingers it’s done today.

FYI, it is covered under the power train warranty

dwmarks

Reaction score
Followup post: Cam phaser parts arrived next day. Day and a half to repair. Paid for spark replacement while it was in. Got it back on Friday as promised. Purrs like a kitten. No leaks, performance issues, or strange anomalies. Literally the only thing I had to do was reset my clock. I am happy! A+ job, well done.

Herby

Reaction score

This should answer your question regarding the ecoboost rattle at cold start.

GB19XLT

Reaction score
Update:

after 2 weeks in the shop at the dealer, we finally got it back. No more noise on cold start. Runs smooth. Glad to have it back..

strange assumption on other people having issues around 55k... mine went in at 54k... wonder if that’s around the mileage they start going bad

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score

This should answer your question regarding the ecoboost rattle at cold start.

To be clear, most of the conversation in this thread is about the cam phaser rattle on cold start. A very different issue, and sound, than what FTMakuloco is talking about in that video.

The cam phaser rattle is very loud, and much more solid sounding—but only lasts a few seconds after startup.

Some of us are lucky enough to have had BOTH of these jobs performed.:)

John I

Reaction score
Just watched some videos online regarding Ford’s cam phaser issues on both the V-8s and 3.5 engines. It is an big job, especially on the 3.5 where a couple professional mechanics say that the best way to access the work that is required is to lift the body off the chassis. Not sure I trust my local Ford dealer to get this right.
Are new cam phasers really the long term solution or is this an oil flow/pressure issue?

KnoxExpy

Reaction score
Just picked up this used 2020 Expedition Max... is this similar to what is going on with yours? This one had the PCM reprogrammed for the Cam Phasers but no actual repair. Do ya'll think i need to bring it in?