2019 Expedition Max transmission shot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

momto4kks

Reaction score
We have a 2019 Expedition Max with approx 117,000 miles on it. The other day I got a warning light and it began shifting really rough and not accelerating well. My mechanic said the transmission needs to be completely replaced (they don't do that, so I'd have to take it to Ford). We've also had issues with the catalytic converter going bad. Of course it is out of warranty. We've owned Fords for 20 years and have always loved them and found them reliable. This one has been horrendous. I guess I'm just curious if anyone has thoughts about replacing the transmission and/or the catalytic converter. We are thinking we just need to dump the vehicle at this point. I am super frustrated that these things went bad as soon as we were out of the warranty period. I would be hesitant to buy another Ford now.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have a 2019 Expedition Max with approx 117,000 miles on it. The other day I got a warning light and it began shifting really rough and not accelerating well. My mechanic said the transmission needs to be completely replaced (they don't do that, so I'd have to take it to Ford). We've also had issues with the catalytic converter going bad. Of course it is out of warranty. We've owned Fords for 20 years and have always loved them and found them reliable. This one has been horrendous. I guess I'm just curious if anyone has thoughts about replacing the transmission and/or the catalytic converter. We are thinking we just need to dump the vehicle at this point. I am super frustrated that these things went bad as soon as we were out of the warranty period. I would be hesitant to buy another Ford now.

Ford did not provide a warranty for the transmission in excess of 100,000 miles (it was 5 years or 60,000 miles).

The catalytic converters would have been covered under the emissions warranty for 8 years or 80,000 miles.

Did you have some type of extended service plan?

RGarone421

Reaction score
My 2019 with 25k on it has a new trans in it already. Not to mention, the truck was brought in for trans issues already. The good out of this is, Ford provided 2-year / 100k mile warranty on this.

Free

Reaction score
Not a lot of help to the original post, but I bought a 2019 Expedition in January with 80K. It runs fine, but every now and then, the transmission shifts rough. It may be singing the same tune! After joining this forum, I took out an extended warranty on the vehicle for 2 years beyond Fords. I hate warranties, but after reading threads on this post, I took one out that is not from Ford. Also, for this of you reading this thread. I had an alternator go out as soon as I bought it. Extended warranty paid for MOST of it, not of it. The reason is because the warranty I purchased pays up to $150.00 per hour for labor. Ford charges $195.00 per hour. This is in North Alabama. In regards to your transmission, I personally would repair the transmission and go on. It all comes down to finances and if you want to start over on vehicle payments. You may not have any more problems after you replace the transmission, but who knows. You will get 10 different opinions on this. Hope this helps...Some people enjoy monthly vehicle payments with the comfort of a manufacturer warranty. Others choose to fix it, move on and have no monthly payment.