2019 Failed Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

George Banks

Reaction score
It took them about 45 days to rebuild the transmission. They rebuilt the original one from our suv. They just fixed what was broken and did a new seal kit on it. It drives like new but that rebuilt left me wonder why such a new suv with only 50,000 miles went bad so soon. Not to mention my rear struts/shocks were also replaced along with the cam phasers that tend to make a rattle noise on start up. Honestly Im not a Chevy guy but that 5.3 V8 is looking promising.
Why it failed so young is my million dollar question. Mine has 45K miles - mostly highway miles. It is a glorified soccer van - we've never towed with it. The technician said he's seen quite a few of the 10r80s come through with transmission issues, so it just makes me pause when I think about long-term reliability. I thought about competing brands as replacement, but it's my understanding that they basically share the same transmission platform.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why it failed so young is my million dollar question. Mine has 45K miles - mostly highway miles. It is a glorified soccer van - we've never towed with it. The technician said he's seen quite a few of the 10r80s come through with transmission issues, so it just makes me pause when I think about long-term reliability. I thought about competing brands as replacement, but it's my understanding that they basically share the same transmission platform.

llhoneymoons

Reaction score
It took them about 45 days to rebuild the transmission. They rebuilt the original one from our suv. They just fixed what was broken and did a new seal kit on it. It drives like new but that rebuilt left me wonder why such a new suv with only 50,000 miles went bad so soon. Not to mention my rear struts/shocks were also replaced along with the cam phasers that tend to make a rattle noise on start up. Honestly Im not a Chevy guy but that 5.3 V8 is looking promising.
Sorry to tell you, but the Chevy transmissions aren't much better - run a transmission shop and see them all.

RABAYL01

Reaction score
Good morning everyone! I glanced through most of the comments on here.. my experience the past month with my 2019 Ford Expedition Limited with a HDTTP @ 38000 miles (powertrain warranty was in effect) during repair was a COMPLETE TRANSMISSION REPLACEMENT!!!

My experience prior to repair was that temp was getting to 228 F at normal driving even at 45 degree ambient temperatures. The defective transmission would do the nose dive sensation when going from gear 3 to gear 5 (switching to a different clutch packs). And it basically would grind from 1st gear to 3rd. No DTC codes were thrown. My local dealer, Paul Miller Ford in Lexington, KY, drove it and decided that "it is bad" and also noticed that the transfer case was also whining (pitted gears). They scheduled me for a drop off two days later; they gave me a 2022 F150 XLT (which I was pretty happy about) and they told me to expect at least two weeks for repairs... Well, 6 days went by and they slapped on a brand spanking new transmission.

Overall, I was pretty happy with my experience and that that was the ultimate repair that I wouldve expected. SA said that it was close to $13,000 in repairs that was covered under warranty. If they hadn't done it correctly, I was ready to go back to a Mazda 6speed automatic vehicle which is the most reliable transmission out there.

So far so good with the new transmission. It is smooth like the 2022 F150 I drove. I did notice though the new gen f150s do not skip gears. It goes through each gear sequentially. Most like to preserve the clutches and to lessen the software indecisiveness. Livernois Motorsports offer a transmission tuner that would reprogram the transmission to go through all gears sequentially.

OP
OP
G

George Banks

Reaction score
Good morning everyone! I glanced through most of the comments on here.. my experience the past month with my 2019 Ford Expedition Limited with a HDTTP @ 38000 miles (powertrain warranty was in effect) during repair was a COMPLETE TRANSMISSION REPLACEMENT!!!

My experience prior to repair was that temp was getting to 228 F at normal driving even at 45 degree ambient temperatures. The defective transmission would do the nose dive sensation when going from gear 3 to gear 5 (switching to a different clutch packs). And it basically would grind from 1st gear to 3rd. No DTC codes were thrown. My local dealer, Paul Miller Ford in Lexington, KY, drove it and decided that "it is bad" and also noticed that the transfer case was also whining (pitted gears). They scheduled me for a drop off two days later; they gave me a 2022 F150 XLT (which I was pretty happy about) and they told me to expect at least two weeks for repairs... Well, 6 days went by and they slapped on a brand spanking new transmission.

Overall, I was pretty happy with my experience and that that was the ultimate repair that I wouldve expected. SA said that it was close to $13,000 in repairs that was covered under warranty. If they hadn't done it correctly, I was ready to go back to a Mazda 6speed automatic vehicle which is the most reliable transmission out there.

So far so good with the new transmission. It is smooth like the 2022 F150 I drove. I did notice though the new gen f150s do not skip gears. It goes through each gear sequentially. Most like to preserve the clutches and to lessen the software indecisiveness. Livernois Motorsports offer a transmission tuner that would reprogram the transmission to go through all gears sequentially.
I hope I have an experience like you, but I'm doubtful. My technician won't call me back. They said they were dropping the transmission and pulling together a cost estimate. It is still in the parking lot behind the shop. Hasn't moved since the day I brought it there. Left three voicemails asking for an update and to hear if they have a rental car, but crickets from their end. If I don't hear back from them by Friday, I'll just go take it back and forget about it. It drives (albeit poorly), so I can get by until another shop is ready to actually fix the damn thing.

OP
OP
G

George Banks

Reaction score
Ok so I had a similar issue with my 2019 and Ford covered my repairs. I would recommend that you call this number. Ford Care (866) 631-3788.

Explain to them your frustration and tell them that you need a rental vehicle and they will work with the dealer that is performing the repairs. They gave a rental and they dealt with the dealership. My transmission was rebuilt and it is working fine but honestly we are looking into trading it in for something else later this year. It's too new of a vehicle to have issues like this. Hope everything works out for you.
I called you number. Less than two hours later, the car was moved out of the parking lot and into the service bay. Haha I told her I could never reach anyone in service. She tried call a couple times and had the same luck. Thanks again!

RABAYL01

Reaction score
Update: They took the transmission out and concluded it was a total failure. They ordered a new one, but they are back ordered three weeks. They gave me a rental car, so I’m happy guy. The Ford Care number worked like a charm.
Thats good to hear. The dealer I worked with had their own courtesy cars for repairs that are expected to take longer. So I was happy they gave me a 22 F150. This dealer has not been perfect before but I am glad they came through for me for the stinkin transmission

fmendezex2019

Reaction score
Thats good to hear. The dealer I worked with had their own courtesy cars for repairs that are expected to take longer. So I was happy they gave me a 22 F150. This dealer has not been perfect before but I am glad they came through for me for the stinkin transmission
Update: They took the transmission out and concluded it was a total failure. They ordered a new one, but they are back ordered three weeks. They gave me a rental car, so I’m happy guy. The Ford Care number worked like a charm.
Awesome!! Glad they were able to help out. Keep us updated.

Skyler

Reaction score
Were they able to get the new transmission? I had what sounds like the same issues you had in my 2019. Took it in to the dealership. After some back and forth between the dealership and Ford, Ford said it needs a new transmission. But the replacement is on back order with no ETA. I dropped mine off on May 30th.