2019 Failed Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George Banks

Reaction score
I took my 2019 Ford Expedition Max for transmission concerns: loud clunking when cold, harsh shifting into 5th gear at low RPMs, extreme hesitation when shifting to R or from R to D, and other issues. I got the call today that the transmission is throwing an error code and that the D Clutch has failed. They are going to pull down the transmission to poke around and see how Ford wants to handle the repair. Has anyone else had this issue? They don't have any rentals available, so I'm trying to figure out how long I should expect to be without my SUV.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I took my 2019 Ford Expedition Max for transmission concerns: loud clunking when cold, harsh shifting into 5th gear at low RPMs, extreme hesitation when shifting to R or from R to D, and other issues. I got the call today that the transmission is throwing an error code and that the D Clutch has failed. They are going to pull down the transmission to poke around and see how Ford wants to handle the repair. Has anyone else had this issue? They don't have any rentals available, so I'm trying to figure out how long I should expect to be without my SUV.

Last year when the transmission failed in my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 (covered by a Ford Premium Extended Service Plan), it took the dealer 51 days to repair it after diagnosis due to lack of parts from Ford.

Initially I was told the transmission failed and it would require a full replacement. After the service department realized I was covered under a Ford service plan, that changed.

The service advisor said Ford would not permit a replacement, but required a tear-down and rebuild.

Is your vehicle covered by the initial power train warranty, or a Ford extended service plan?

Good luck!

OP
OP
G

George Banks

Reaction score
Last year when the transmission failed in my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 (covered by a Ford Premium Extended Service Plan), it took the dealer 51 days to repair it after diagnosis due to lack of parts from Ford.

Initially I was told the transmission failed and it would require a full replacement. After the service department realized I was covered under a Ford service plan, that changed.

The service advisor said Ford would not permit a replacement, but required a tear-down and rebuild.

Is your vehicle covered by the initial power train warranty, or a Ford extended service plan?

Good luck!

Covered under the original factory warranty - only 44K miles. The technician said "it's bad...". He said they will pull together a cost estimate and then push to Ford who will decide if they want to fix, rebuild, or replace. I would think replacement is more cost effective than rebuild (from a labor perspective)...just drop and replace. But I know nothing. I do know I'm disappointed that this is happening for such a new vehicle.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score

LOL . Funny how Ford/dealers thought process change once they realize a vehicle is under a service plan and try their best to fix something without replacing the entire unit once they know they will have to pay the bill

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If Ford is paying, they don’t even do a complete overhaul. They change the failed part and associated clutches, then put all old parts back in.

If it is out of your pocket, then all clutches will be replaced.

OP
OP
G

George Banks

Reaction score
If Ford is paying, they don’t even do a complete overhaul. They change the failed part and associated clutches, then put all old parts back in.

If it is out of your pocket, then all clutches will be replaced.
What I’m hearing is that Ford will do the bare minimum to make the repair. I expected that. Makes me worry about longevity.

fmendezex2019

Reaction score
Ok so I had a similar issue with my 2019 and Ford covered my repairs. I would recommend that you call this number. Ford Care (866) 631-3788.

Explain to them your frustration and tell them that you need a rental vehicle and they will work with the dealer that is performing the repairs. They gave a rental and they dealt with the dealership. My transmission was rebuilt and it is working fine but honestly we are looking into trading it in for something else later this year. It's too new of a vehicle to have issues like this. Hope everything works out for you.

OP
OP
G

George Banks

Reaction score
Ok so I had a similar issue with my 2019 and Ford covered my repairs. I would recommend that you call this number. Ford Care (866) 631-3788.

Explain to them your frustration and tell them that you need a rental vehicle and they will work with the dealer that is performing the repairs. They gave a rental and they dealt with the dealership. My transmission was rebuilt and it is working fine but honestly we are looking into trading it in for something else later this year. It's too new of a vehicle to have issues like this. Hope everything works out for you.
Thanks for helpful information! I will definitely give that number a call. The dealer told me that they had no rentals and didn't work with any rental agencies in the area. So hopefully the customer care will give me some needed relief. How long did it take for them to rebuild the transmission - does it drive like new or do you still have issues?

OP
OP
G

George Banks

Reaction score

And when you say rebuild - does that mean they actually went into the transmission rebuilt it? Or it came rebuilt from the factory? Or they just went it and replaced what was broken and left the rest alone?

fmendezex2019

Reaction score
It took them about 45 days to rebuild the transmission. They rebuilt the original one from our suv. They just fixed what was broken and did a new seal kit on it. It drives like new but that rebuilt left me wonder why such a new suv with only 50,000 miles went bad so soon. Not to mention my rear struts/shocks were also replaced along with the cam phasers that tend to make a rattle noise on start up. Honestly Im not a Chevy guy but that 5.3 V8 is looking promising.