2019 Limited Transmission Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OMG....oh well. Guess that's what happens when you buy a used vehicle with 37k miles on it. We never had any major issues with our 2011 Explorer limited and just assumed the quality would be the same or better on a newer Expedition. Oh well, we do have the warranty still, I just hate for it to be in the shop for a long time, plus sometimes more goes wrong when you get it back LOL.
Thanks MX Racer!

New, used...doesn’t matter. I wouldn’t blame it on being a used vehicle. There are others on here that have had phaser and/or turbo issues that bought them new and have far fewer miles. Just a known gremlin with the 3.5 eco boost. The F-150 and Raptors have the same issues with the phasers and turbos. I’d suspect other vehicles with the 3.5 have the same as well, just most folks around the forums here are familiar with this F series based platform so there are others that have commented the trucks have the same issues. You can google these and see some good informative YouTube videos that detail both of these. Supposedly neither is fatal in any way, just “not right” and Ford repairs them under warranty. I’ve heard getting parts can be a lengthy wait though due to the high demand.

OP
OP
Corps8404

Corps8404

Reaction score
Thanks MX Racer....good to know. I've got an appointment to take it in next week and we'll see how it goes.

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
very brief rattle is cam phasers. Pretty decent size job, covered under warranty by dealer. If the rattle lasts longer it would be the drivers side turbo. Also covered under warranty.
If this isn't addressed right away does it eventually cause future problems? I do hear a slight "clatter" when I start up but everything seems fine, don't even think I'd notice it if it wasn't for reading forums?

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
very brief rattle is cam phasers. Pretty decent size job, covered under warranty by dealer. If the rattle lasts longer it would be the drivers side turbo. Also covered under warranty.

They won't do the turbo wastegate rattle under warranty right now. I've had it in twice. They did do the phasers under warranty, with the new parts, as a courtesy.

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If this isn't addressed right away does it eventually cause future problems? I do hear a slight "clatter" when I start up but everything seems fine, don't even think I'd notice it if it wasn't for reading forums?

supposedly the cam phasers rattle is not supposed to cause future problems. There are a few good videos out there that detail the issue. There is a locking pin that breaks and allows the phaser to rotate when it shouldn’t until oil pressure builds up. Usually just a moment or two.

similarly you can find videos that show the turbo issue as well with the waste gate rattle.

Brent Harward

Reaction score
There's some pretty good info here. This is a common problem I believe. We have an old 2013 with 112K and it does it too. So it's not just the 10 speed. Kinda like the computer can't decide whether to down gear or up shift. I understand it's also a problem on GM suv's. So I've chosen to ignore it. We've had no other issues.

OP
OP
Corps8404

Corps8404

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your responses....definitely good information! I hear the rattle for about 2secs upon cold start then after that nothing. Every other subsequent start of the day....nothing. But I'm still taking it into the dealership just to see what they say....I'll let this thread know what happens.

OP
OP
Corps8404

Corps8404

Reaction score
Update: Vehicle (2019 Expedition Limited) has been with the dealership for 4 days and will be there longer. Cam phasers are the issue plus possible turbo issues. All under warranty, but because of Covid-impacted supply chain the wait could be 2+ wks.

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update: Vehicle (2019 Expedition Limited) has been with the dealership for 4 days and will be there longer. Cam phasers are the issue plus possible turbo issues. All under warranty, but because of Covid-impacted supply chain the wait could be 2+ wks.

really curious if they replace your turbos or not as my dealer replaced my VCT (cam phasers) and it still rattles and they pretty much said they won’t replace the turbos as Ford may not reimburse them for the warranty work.