2020 APIM in 2019?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Platinum that I have used Cyanlabs updater on to get to the latest build of Sync that I can, but I understand there is a slightly later build of Sync 3 that includes album art, etc. The only way to get that in the 2019 from what I recall is to update the firmware in the APIM, which I understand is a risky proposition. I'm able to procure a APIM from a 2020 model, I don't recall if this would have the updated Sync and if this is simply plug-and-play or if it would need programming of some sort. Anyone able to advise on this? Loki?

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Someone with better knowledge than I can chime in but I think you need even newer than 2020 APIM. I have a 2021 and I do not get the album art/radio station images on mine. This is for terrestrial radio, not SXM. I do get the album art for SXM.

OP
OP
MxRacer965

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Someone with better knowledge than I can chime in but I think you need even newer than 2020 APIM. I have a 2021 and I do not get the album art/radio station images on mine. This is for terrestrial radio, not SXM. I do get the album art for SXM.
Thanks for the feedback. I don't listen to terrestrial radio, just SXM so no album art for terrestrial would be fine. I THINK that SOME 2020 had the newer Sync 3 but it's been so long since I researched this topic that I don't recall. In the end it isn't a big deal, but at the price point I could get this 2020 APIM for I'm willing to buy it for the small improvement.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I don't listen to terrestrial radio, just SXM so no album art for terrestrial would be fine. I THINK that SOME 2020 had the newer Sync 3 but it's been so long since I researched this topic that I don't recall. In the end it isn't a big deal, but at the price point I could get this 2020 APIM for I'm willing to buy it for the small improvement.
Ah, so you don't get the SXM album art. I do get the SXM images but not terrestrial radio. And just like you stated there is a firmware update that I could apply that would get that working but it's risky..
So yea, if that 2020 APIM is cheap you could try it. Remember that you need to get it configured. If you have Forscan I think it will pull the config from yours and write it to the new one.

OP
OP
MxRacer965

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ah, so you don't get the SXM album art. I do get the SXM images but not terrestrial radio. And just like you stated there is a firmware update that I could apply that would get that working but it's risky..
So yea, if that 2020 APIM is cheap you could try it. Remember that you need to get it configured. If you have Forscan I think it will pull the config from yours and write it to the new one.
I have the necessary hardware just haven't had the need for Forscan yet so I don't have that. Just a matter of getting it at this point. I have googled it a little and some people have said it needs asbuilt downloaded from my APIM and uploaded to the new one, some say needs VIN programmed, some say it doesn't need VIN...just trying to assess better what the likelihood of success is and if all 2020 APIMs are new enough to have the album art capability or not...

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
2020+ Sync 3 APIM's are a PAIN. They cannot do certain updates even via CyanLabs. Like the Nav update. The app updates work, but can't do the Nav update. You get the Album update and the Calm screen.

You do need the VIN, at least I did on the last APIM swap I did for a friend, but that is easy.

OP
OP
MxRacer965

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2020+ Sync 3 APIM's are a PAIN. They cannot do certain updates even via CyanLabs. Like the Nav update. The app updates work, but can't do the Nav update. You get the Album update and the Calm screen.

You do need the VIN, at least I did on the last APIM swap I did for a friend, but that is easy.
Appreciate the feedback! Nav I'm not sure is something that is a big concern since I don't think I have ever used the built in nav. Obviously if I were traveling in an area without cell service I'd want it, but otherwise...

Any idea if ALL 2020 APIM are updated to the newer version or if that was a change at some point in the production run? I assume just Forscan needed along with the requisite connector cable is needed and a quick config adjustment for the VIN?

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You don't gain much upgrading to the 2020 APIM. And as @LokiWolf mentioned, you lose some abilities.
I am at the latest firmware and I get album art off my SD card, but never really paid attention to anything else.
If you go to Fmods there are all sorts of mods you can attempt, to be able to get the album art, play videos and more. I've never done any of those, so I can't say they are worth it.
However, any attempt to modify firmware, patch mods, etc., always has some risk involved, from feature malfunction to even bricking. With my 41 years in the technology industry, I'm always nervous hacking any device, even though I do it all the time.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You don't gain much upgrading to the 2020 APIM. And as @LokiWolf mentioned, you lose some abilities.
I am at the latest firmware and I get album art off my SD card, but never really paid attention to anything else.
If you go to Fmods there are all sorts of mods you can attempt, to be able to get the album art, play videos and more. I've never done any of those, so I can't say they are worth it.
However, any attempt to modify firmware, patch mods, etc., always has some risk involved, from feature malfunction to even bricking. With my 41 years in the technology industry, I'm always nervous hacking any device, even though I do it all the time.
FMods requires a hardware hack on the modern Sync3 APIM's.