2021 lift gate puddle light will not illuminate unless ignition is on.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Benztech

Reaction score
I've noticed mine before and assumed it was for trailer tow, but never used it. I just tried and I couldn't get it to come on. The owners manual says something about it automatically coming on.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it’s to illuminate the hitch, it probably comes on when in reverse, or the reverse camera is on?

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it’s to illuminate the hitch, it probably comes on when in reverse, or the reverse camera is on?
As SJ alluded to. Place vehicle in reverse, set parking brake and look. It should be illuminated. This light does not work the same as the trucks. I do remember my F150 had the light illuminate when I unlocked the vehicle.

For those that have the light (I do not) there may be an option in forscan to activate it upon unlocking the vehicle but I have not looked to see if that is so.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2018 with the tow package. A) Never knew it was there AND I've read the book. B) I've never seen it on.

I just unlocked the truck, all lights on including mirror puddles, but not that light. Guess it's a reverse thing or maybe only when you use trailer wiring?

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did some digging in the manual (slow day at the office). I think that is called the "trailer hookup lamp" and it says it and the cargo lamp will come on automatically when the pro-trailer backup assist system is engaged (which you accomplish by pressing the button in the middle of the pro-trailer backup assist knob).

(It's a note under "Step 3")

That is the only reference in the whole manual (that I can find) to the "trailer hookup lamp"; it's not even listed on the bulb specification chart.

Benztech

Reaction score
I'll have to try it again. I had the engine running, trans in reverse, and trailer assist on. Never saw the light on. I didn't have the parking brake on.