2022 3rd brake light - replace with 2023 version that flashes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tobiasx

Reaction score
I am always looking for any way to increase visibility to help avoid collisions from those distracted drivers. I noticed the 2023 3rd brake light pulses once or twice before going solid. Anybody have information on how and what to replace mine with one that does that? Thanks in advance!

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Tobiasx , you might get insight into whether it's hardware or software by doing a part number search for the light assembly and see whether it has changed from 2022 to 2023.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am always looking for any way to increase visibility to help avoid collisions from those distracted drivers. I noticed the 2023 3rd brake light pulses once or twice before going solid. Anybody have information on how and what to replace mine with one that does that? Thanks in advance!

A local Lexus dealer where I live only sells the new vehicles with a $1,494. package consisting of paint sealant and a flashing, center high-mounted brake light. They install some type of module or software to cause the brake light to flash several times upon activation.

The flashing brake light is illegal in some states - you may want to check your local laws before you modify the vehicle. It may affect your warranty if there is an electrical issue.

I suspect the Expedition you saw with the flashing brake light was modified and not equipped that way from the factory.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tobiasx

Reaction score
it is factory right off the showroom 2023 and not illegal in any state, 2 short pulses and steady. Lots of other car brands have the same things. Thank you for taking the time to comment,

BSarchet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will have to check but I swear my 2022 does that. I feel like I’ve seen it when I’m backing my trailer at night.

Jdwornik

Reaction score

3rd Coast

Reaction score
We have it on our 2020 that we purchased used from Lincoln of Bloomington in MN. They install it on every vehicle they sell, if not already equipped, and I believe the cost added was around $340.