2022 Expedition new headlights quality question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BSarchet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had ours about a month and I think the headlights are awesome. I just got done driving around the hills of Missouri in pitch black and was thankful for their light output and coverage.

Last edited:

BravoAlpha

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No complaints, they look great and work great. I wasn’t overly enthusiastic about the fascia and headlight design. I really hoped they‘d align it with the F150 like they used to. It still looks sharp and the plastic material is glossy and firm. Lighting in other areas… I digress.. it illuminates the road well

uncboysetsfire

Reaction score
The headlights were the main reason I jumped to the Raptor after 3 weeks with the Timberline.

The reflector headlights were not bright enough for me and didn’t light up the sides as much.

I strongly feel they are insufficient if you drive poorly lit roads at night.

Bummer they had to cheap out on such an important safety feature. I wasn’t able to find and aftermarket and had to let it go.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The headlights were the main reason I jumped to the Raptor after 3 weeks with the Timberline.

The reflector headlights were not bright enough for me and didn’t light up the sides as much.

Bummer they had to cheap out on such an important safety feature. I wasn’t able to find and aftermarket and had to let it go.

Went from timberline to raptor just because of headlights?

mrmustang

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was a bit nervous about spending the money on the new Expedition with the unknown being the new headlight design. However, I've had my 22 XLT for a few weeks now, drive it in the city, in the country, and the unlit dirt backroads, the new LED headlight and reflector design throws light exactly where it needs to be, so much so, that it's a rare occasion I'm using the highbeams. As a response for the fellow above going to the raptor for the "larger" headlights, if you are using just the headlights, and not the driving lights, you'll find the Expedition puts out a bit more focused light, where the Raptor (apples to apples, same roads and conditions) puts out a more diffused light. You may get more of a wide coverage, but the light you think is better, is actually not where you want or need it. Again, strictly my personal, hands on, apples to apples comparison, using the same roads, and conditions, with a good friend of mine when I first got my 22 XLT. Your money, your choice, my money, my choice.

Bill

mlogan

Reaction score
Agree, hoped they would add adaptive or projector for Platinum but the lighting is better than my ‘15 with halogen projector. Definitely livable.

uncboysetsfire

Reaction score

Went from timberline to raptor just because of headlights?
The headlights were the reason I started looking. I’ve always been an SUV guy and if it had the adaptive projector headlights I would still be driving the Timberline.

Expy Gator

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Very happy with my 2022 Timberline headlights - Last February I rented a 2020 Expedition last winter and I couldn’t even tell if the headlights were on! Vastly improved for 2022.

maxlim2022

Full Access Members
Reaction score
coming from a 2 year old Mazda CX9 which I must agree had excellent lighting - OP has mentions a CX5. We've had our truck now for two weeks, driven nights and days. in and out of the city and we live more in a suburban setting with low ambient light Is there a difference, probably. I do not feel much of a loss of lighting to be concerning. Ill try to pay more attention given the question at hand. Again, so far, I have not noticed lighting to be bothersomely low or lacking despite the LEDs being reflectors

OP
OP
D
Reaction score
coming from a 2 year old Mazda CX9 which I must agree had excellent lighting - OP has mentions a CX5. We've had our truck now for two weeks, driven nights and days. in and out of the city and we live more in a suburban setting with low ambient light Is there a difference, probably. I do not feel much of a loss of lighting to be concerning. Ill try to pay more attention given the question at hand. Again, so far, I have not noticed lighting to be bothersomely low or lacking despite the LEDs being reflectors
Max, yes if you can actively compare the output on your Expy to your experience of your CX9 the next time you drive, that would be excellent. Indeed, if as you say you have not felt much of a loss of lighting with the Expy, then that's reassuring (along with everyone else's positive feedback).

To everyone who has taken the time to provide feedback, thank you.

And actually, this online community is one of the top reasons why the Expy is at the top of my list currently. Its large, active and helpful. I guess it helps when there's so many Expys and F150s sold, but all the same the shared knowledge base is priceless.