2023 Expedition build questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

bzav

Reaction score
Still trying to understand CCD.From omments above and looking at other threads:
- base springs firmer ride, CCD more luxurious/softer (doesn't make sense to me because to get CCD you have to get at least 303A [despite comments above], which includes sport suspension, and the CCD option also includes sport suspension)
- but with CCD (and maybe this is with or without CCD), which includes sport suspension, you can still select eco/soft, normal/balanced and sport/stiffer modes.
- many reccommend to upgrade stabilizer bars with CCD, to impove "soft ride"
-- but expect early shock wear/replacement without CCD

JohnSC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No. Separate CCD from sport suspension in your mind. They are not related. According to Ford:
"The Continuously Controlled Damping (CCD) Suspension feature is engineered to mitigate the way your Ford Expedition detects and responds to the potholes and other deviations or obstacles in the road"

So it softens the reaction to abrupt changes in the roadway. CCD is available for both for the normal suspension and a version for the sport suspension. It is not a soft ride - just more compliant or resistant to big bumps. The shocks are electronically adjusted to allow big bumps to not be transmitted to the vehicle. The recommendation for a sway bar upgrade that I see seems to be to reduce issues while towing.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Still trying to understand CCD.From omments above and looking at other threads:
- base springs firmer ride, CCD more luxurious/softer (doesn't make sense to me because to get CCD you have to get at least 303A [despite comments above], which includes sport suspension, and the CCD option also includes sport suspension)

There are two versions of the ccd, one for the regular setup, which is iptional om limited 302 and kr, standard on platinum. The other is the sport setup, which is firmer than the refular ccd setup. I personally have not deiven the stealths, so i cant compare those to the regular setup.

- but with CCD (and maybe this is with or without CCD), which includes sport suspension, you can still select eco/soft, normal/balanced and sport/stiffer modes.

all trucks have the drive modes, however, with ccd, the dampers also adjust with the steering and drivetrain, whereas without it, the dampers don't adjust.

- many reccommend to upgrade stabilizer bars with CCD, to impove "soft ride"

this is the only real complaint with the ccd, the motion in the rear and side to side motions, but maybe someone with ccd can elaborate and if the stabilizer bars are worth it. There are plenty without the bars that are happy with it as is.
-- but expect early shock wear/replacement without CCD

Correct, atleast with pre refresh. No word on my22s yet.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No. Separate CCD from sport suspension in your mind. They are not related. According to Ford:
"The Continuously Controlled Damping (CCD) Suspension feature is engineered to mitigate the way your Ford Expedition detects and responds to the potholes and other deviations or obstacles in the road"

So it softens the reaction to abrupt changes in the roadway. CCD is available for both for the normal suspension and a version for the sport suspension. It is not a soft ride - just more compliant or resistant to big bumps. The shocks are electronically adjusted to allow big bumps to not be transmitted to the vehicle. The recommendation for a sway bar upgrade that I see seems to be to reduce issues while towing.

It may feel different/subjective, but each ccd equipped truck I've driven always felt softer in bump absorption and body motion than the equivalent version without ccd.

OP
OP
B

bzav

Reaction score
Trying to build a 23 LTD on the website. The CCD option includes sport suspension. So these are separate features, but they are only available together. I don't see CCD without sports suspension. And can only get this option with 303A, not with 301A or 302A. So perhaps CCD only was an option on previous years?
I think I want CCD, but only comes with 303A, which means black seats, which I don't want. So if someone can tell me how to get CCD without 303A i would appreciate it.

Thanks to all who are responding -I really appreciate it!!

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just checked the order guide, it still says ccd is available on 302 pkg. The b&p has been wonky since ford put it up for the 2022 year so I wouldn't trust if much.

JohnSC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would call the dealer and ask - the comparison option on the web site says the CCD is optional on both the Ltd and the KR, and standard on the Plat. Yet is is not shown on the KR at all, and only on the Ltd with the 303A and 304A. So yes, give them a call.

OP
OP
B

bzav

Reaction score
I just checked the order guide, it still says ccd is available on 302 pkg. The b&p has been wonky since ford put it up for the 2022 year so I wouldn't trust if much.
I am not familiar with the order guide. where do I find that?
I would like to build the vehicle and then send the build to different dealers for a quote. Can't do that if I can't build the vehicle on line.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I and some others posted it on this forum, you can probably search it