2023 Expedition build questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bzav

Reaction score
getting ready to order a 23 Expedition Limited. Sorry for the number of questions but I have to get this right on a vehicle that is north of $80k. Thanks in advance:

1) what is the difference between "cargo management system" ,standard vs "advanced cargo management" - optional
2) sport tuned suspension is part of the ltd stealth package, 303A. But is also part of CCD option. YOu don't get a credit on the CCD option when you have already paid for as part of 303A ?!
3) value and function of the eLSD?
4) what is the difference between "floor mats and logo" included with 303A vs optional, $200 "Floor Liners, Front and Second Rows (with Carpet Mats)" ?
5) what is the "center console sport" on 303A?
6) i plan on getting the towing package (includes pro trailer BU assist, reverse break assist and 360 camera with trailer reverse guidance) and 303A (includes copilot assist 2.0 and active park assist 2.0). is this all the safety/guidance stuff I can get except blue cruise?
7) any thoughts on comfort of 2nd row bench seat vs captains. I like the 5 passenger option that the bench gives.
8) I don't see option to select "Opt. rear mechanical load-leveling supension" which is listed as optional on the spec sheet.
9) the base hp on the limited is 400 ( with premium), not 380 (presumably without on XLT and below) ? what is HP without premium?
10) power fold mirrors listed as std equipment but also listed as part of 304A? Is it standard?
11) what is the difference btween "wheel lock kit $75" and "Wheel Locks - Chrome Plated for Exposed Lugs $60" ?
12) How do the TPMS sensors work when changing wheels? Does the vehicle learn the new codes or do you program? Is programming dealer only or dyi? Which tmps tool works?

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
getting ready to order a 23 Expedition Limited. Sorry for the number of questions but I have to get this right on a vehicle that is north of $80k. Thanks in advance:
I'll try to answer everything I can.
1) what is the difference between "cargo management system" ,standard vs "advanced cargo management" - optional
I believe Advanced Cargo Management is a fixed lid to store stuff. Not 100% sure.
2) sport tuned suspension is part of the ltd stealth package, 303A. But is also part of CCD option. YOu don't get a credit on the CCD option when you have already paid for as part of 303A ?!
Technically the 303A would be less expensive if it didn't include the CCD.
eLSD helps handling and out of corner acceleration, it depends how much you have to spend, if you have some free money get it, and you won't regret it.
4) what is the difference between "floor mats and logo" included with 303A vs optional, $200 "Floor Liners, Front and Second Rows (with Carpet Mats)" ?
The floormats and logo are carpet mats, and the Floor liners are rubber that can go over the Carpeted Mats. I just took he carpeted mats off ours and just left the liners on. Get the Rubber liners they are amazing.
I don't know about this.
6) i plan on getting the towing package (includes pro trailer BU assist, reverse break assist and 360 camera with trailer reverse guidance) and 303A (includes copilot assist 2.0 and active park assist 2.0). is this all the safety/guidance stuff I can get except blue cruise?
Obviously you got the 303a so yes, you'll have all the tech.
7) any thoughts on comfort of 2nd row bench seat vs captains. I like the 5 passenger option that the bench gives.
The bench were very comfortable to us and I felt no difference between Captain and Bench.
8) I don't see option to select "Opt. rear mechanical load-leveling supension" which is listed as optional on the spec sheet.
Ask your dealer about that.
9) the base hp on the limited is 400 ( with premium), not 380 (presumably without on XLT and below) ? what is HP without premium?
The 303a Stealth is the standard output of 380 HP. If you would've gotten the 304A stealth you would've been putting out 440 HP. If I were you I'd get the 304a, and you almost half a second faster to 60.

Youll only lose about 1 MPH and maybe 10 HP if you do 87 instead of Premium.
10) power fold mirrors listed as std equipment but also listed as part of 304A? Is it standard?
All I know is our XLT had power folding mirrors.
11) what is the difference btween "wheel lock kit $75" and "Wheel Locks - Chrome Plated for Exposed Lugs $60" ?
Again, I don't know about this, so ask your dealer.
12) How do the TPMS sensors work when changing wheels? Does the vehicle learn the new codes or do you program? Is programming dealer only or dyi? Which tmps tool works?
The vehicle will automatically relearn it.

Hope I was a help, and I suggest you get the 304a Stealth Performance. Your already a that price point, get the extra power.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Raptor did a great job, so just expounding or adding clarity to some things.

The regular cms is the rear floor that lifts to an underfloor cubby. The acms allows you to turn the floor onto a shelf system. You can raise it completely and it sits about 12 inches from the floor. You can also stand it up into a pseudo partition. Honestly, the acms is great if your getting a max, not necessary for the swb.

Theres no credit because they are two separate set ups. The suspension is stiffer on stealth for either the base setup or the ccd. Ccd allows more "float", base allows more control overall. It's your preference, but its 2 different suspension types, which is why there's a premium for ccd
Is just describing the different stitching and materials on the center console from regular ltd. Regular ltd uses fake wood inlays, the stealth uses fake carbon inlays and different leather as well.
6) sorry I deleted the question by accident. FYI, you lose the active park assist with the tow package (due to chips shortage, all expys lost this feature for now).
I did expound on 6.
Just an additional note, though comfy, the bench seats are slightly flatter than the captains, and slightly firmer as well. Also, the middle section lacks a folding armrest, which rele annoyed me when we had ours.
Honestly, ford never explained this and noones been able to figure this out. It's either a dropped option they intended to add, or it's the HD suspension they use for non ccd trucks with 22in wheels.
Yes. I think its shows as separate because 303 has body colored mirror caps, 304 has black mirror caps.

bigwilly

Reaction score
@2020FordRaptor did a great job with the first pass.

second row bench is actually just adding the center section of the seats. The two "outer" seats are basically the captains without the armrest (and I think slightly different seat cushion profile) and are very comfortable. The center seat is fairly comfortable for an average adult. I had my mother in law sitting on the center seat with a car seat on either side and she had enough space to be comfortable for short drive. I wouldn't stick someone there for a multi-hour drive.

smstroben

Reaction score

Advanced Cargo Manager add functionality to the rear floor cover. Can be a shelf, partition, or a wall to keep cargo from falling out. Adding this feature also gets you roof rail cross bars.
These are different suspension types. 303A gets you sport tuned suspension. Adding CCD to 303A or 304A gets you sport tuned CCD suspension. Adding it to 302A gets you "regular" CCD.
This adds 3.73 rear gears and a electronic limited-slip differential. This allows the rear end to be "locked" for use with 4x4. Not a true locker but better than nothing.
Adds rubber floor mats in addition to the carpeted floor mats.
Black leather with red stitching on the center console arm rest.
Blue Cruise is available on Platinum, Trail Turn Assist and Trail 1 Pedal Drive are available on Timberline, and Zone Lighting is available on Timberline and Platinum. I dont think there's anything else you would miss out on by selecting the 303A.
Haven't sat in the captains chairs to compare, but the bench seat is just fine for extended trips. Lack of a center arm rest is unfortunate though.
Haven't seen this and not sure what it might be.
XL + XLT: 380hp. Limited, KR, + Platinum: 400hp. Timberline + SPP(304A): 440hp.
Power fold mirrors are standard for 303A. 304A gets black painted auto fold mirrors.
My guess is one is painted or polished and the other is chrome plated.
From other threads on this forum, the vehicle learns without the need to reprogram.

OP
OP
B

bzav

Reaction score
thanks for everyone's input!!
Still pondering CCD. Any thoughts on pros and cons of this option?

smstroben

Reaction score
We have it on our 2022 and it rides nice but I haven't driven a non-CCD version to compare. From other threads it sound like the CCD struts are out lasting the non-CCD struts. But if you plan on lifting or installing aftermarket coil overs, get non-CCD.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Comparing ccd 22(and previous years) to my 18 that didn't have ccd, ccd is a bit better at isolation and prevents the rear end from crashing over bumps so it has a calmer demeanor on the highway. However, it's a bit soft in the rear, so it has a bounce to it, esp in max form, and the 22in rims overreact to cracks if the dampers are in motion, so it can feel busy on back roads and slightly abrupt in city streets. In contrast, my 18, though incredibly smooth and cushy at the time it was released, still was a firm rider in all conditions, and sometimes, felt too stiff in the back on the hwy. However, it had a perfect firmness balance in town, it was communicative without feeling harsh. Also, unlike the ccd trucks, which feel loose on backroads, always felt tight and willing. It felt very similar to a sporty sedan on backroads. Best comparison, base springs feel euro firm, ccd felt american luxurious. However, me personally, would not want the base springs on 22s, as the 20s already felt firmer than id prefer for a family suv.

Also, @Deadman led the charge and has convinced everyone here who has ccd to upgrade their stabilizer bars (some did both front and rear, but mostly rear). Apparently its cheap, and so easy that ppl can change it faster than unboxing it. Everyone whose done say it changes the trucks dynamics exponentially, to the point it makes it a completely different, and better product. I still think hellwig needs to send him a check.

OP
OP
B

bzav

Reaction score
Comparing ccd 22(and previous years) to my 18 that didn't have ccd, ccd is a bit better at isolation and prevents the rear end from crashing over bumps so it has a calmer demeanor on the highway. However, it's a bit soft in the rear, so it has a bounce to it, esp in max form, and the 22in rims overreact to cracks if the dampers are in motion, so it can feel busy on back roads and slightly abrupt in city streets. In contrast, my 18, though incredibly smooth and cushy at the time it was released, still was a firm rider in all conditions, and sometimes, felt too stiff in the back on the hwy. However, it had a perfect firmness balance in town, it was communicative without feeling harsh. Also, unlike the ccd trucks, which feel loose on backroads, always felt tight and willing. It felt very similar to a sporty sedan on backroads. Best comparison, base springs feel euro firm, ccd felt american luxurious. However, me personally, would not want the base springs on 22s, as the 20s already felt firmer than id prefer for a family suv.

Also, @Deadman led the charge and has convinced everyone here who has ccd to upgrade their stabilizer bars (some did both front and rear, but mostly rear). Apparently its cheap, and so easy that ppl can change it faster than unboxing it. Everyone whose done say it changes the trucks dynamics exponentially, to the point it makes it a completely different, and better product. I still think hellwig needs to send him a check.
can you turn off the CCD to get best of both worlds?

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can put it in different modes for different ride dynamics. Eco will make the ride softer, normal is balanced, sport is stiffer. I do like sport mode alot.