22 Expy Limited Stereo…Surround or Stereo mode???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also, for those of us using bluetooth to stream apple music, I believe Lossless will not be available in that fashion. I typically have it set to Surround as I feel it enhances (obv) the "wrap around immersion". Don't get me started on SiriusXM compression....

Can I listen to lossless audio over Bluetooth?

We will deliver music using lossless audio compression to your iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV. Lossless will play back normally on Bluetooth speakers and headphones. However, Bluetooth connections don’t support lossless audio.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
99% streaming on spotify and the random FM use. I recently upgraded the front 6x9s to component 6.9s and mounted the tweeters to the sail panels. Sound deadened the door and back door panels. Much better front stage and fuller sound now. Still sounds better on stereo IMO. On a side note, I probably have a loose wire rattling at high volumes on the passenger side I need to find and insulate. I must have taken the door apart 10 times by now!
Is your Spotify set to High? Most likely it is set to Auto or Normal. Both will most likely not take advantage of Surround. An FM signal needs to be HD to take advantage of it fully. If the source is a good source, surround most definitely has a better balance. Just want loud, yes Stereo is louder at the same volume setting, but definitely not as balanced or full. It is only left and right channels, so the exact same sound profile is coming out of all the left speakers, and all the right speakers. Center gets both.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also, for those of us using bluetooth to stream apple music, I believe Lossless will not be available in that fashion. I typically have it set to Surround as I feel it enhances (obv) the "wrap around immersion". Don't get me started on SiriusXM compression....

Can I listen to lossless audio over Bluetooth?

We will deliver music using lossless audio compression to your iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV. Lossless will play back normally on Bluetooth speakers and headphones. However, Bluetooth connections don’t support lossless audio.
100% BT does not have enough bandwidth for Lossless. You need wired connection, or something like wireless CarPlay(22+). Wireless CarPlay or AA uses WiFi to make the actual connection. That has enough bandwidth for Lossless.

You don't need Lossless to take advantage of Surround, just need something sending more than L/R. I use Tidal, anything High and above seems to take advantage of the additional channels. I have the higher subscription, and unlimited Data, so my settings are set at Master(2 Levels above High). I sounds pretty darn good in our 2020 Expedition Limited. In my 2021 150 Lariat with the upper BO system, it really does not sound even near as good. I think the speakers are severely lacking in quality.

Obviously all of the factory systems could be improved by aftermarket replacements, like better speakers, or better programable controllers.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@LokiWolf, what is your take on Spotify vs Apple Music? I've read many articles and info on the comparison but Apple (Canada anyway) just increased their family music subscription by $2.00 (it's not the end of the world I know but still...) so this caused me to start looking around. I also have well over 90GB of music on my phone and its cumbersome. Yes, I can stream it anytime any place without data charges since its on my phone (Canadians don't always have access to unlimited data, certainly if we do its very throttled) but the reality is its space that is being used. If I go Spotify, will I need to have access to unlimited data in order to get my music?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That is personally why I like Tidal. Amazing quality, and I can download my playlists/Collections to the phone. I typically do that for the stuff I listen to regularly. Been enjoying their HiFI, and Master quality levels before other services started upping the quality. I have a TON of the services, but honestly Spotify is the one I don't use.

We are a very music driven household, and listen to a large span of stuff.

The services I have -

Apple Music(Part of my One Plan, cause it was cheaper to bundle than to get the things I needed separately) - Lossless is AMAZING, but it takes up A LOT of space on your device if you download it. Quality is there, and with Match can have the stuff you own outside of Apple added to your account. Lossless is as good as Tidal HiFi atleast based on my experience.

Pandora Family(Probably going to Cancel in January - Too many other options currently) - Decent quality, but just not enjoying the interface and it's logic recently.

Amazon Music(Basic is included with Prime - Upgrade to go to HD) - We do the upgrade, and since we have a bunch of Echos it works GREAT. Ask Alexa, and bam. Quality is slightly subpar to Tidal, but still excellent.

Tidal - My favorite. Didn't like the app interface at first, but REALLY like it now. Every now and then, I run in to a song or artist that isn't on it, but they are constantly adding.

As far as Data, most of the above allow download to the device, some with the paid tier. I always recommend that, because well sometimes will be better quality, and obviously like you said, less data usage. If you are downloading, make sure you check your settings to make sure you are downloading at the best quality your subscription allows. It does make a difference. Especially if not connected Bluetooth!

Hope that helps!

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
2 Things I did not address in the above post:

FM/AM - We all know FM Analog has better quality than AM Analog, and there are all kinds of technical reasons for that, HD for both, fixes that issue. The signal is a data stream. It allows a MUCH higher quality, and multiple stations on the same frequency. HD Over the air radio if you have decent stations in the area(We have a bunch and most are good), can take advantage of added quality of most modern Stereos.

SAT SiriusXM - The newest receivers from Sirius do have better quality than previous. We still use it when traveling, The ROAD Trip Station is actually one of our favorites. Yes, the compression can cause lower quality, but in the new radios it is better. Not as good as HD FM, or any of the connected apps in the their higher quality.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score

FM/AM - We all know FM Analog has better quality than AM Analog, and there are all kinds of technical reasons for that, HD for both, fixes that issue. The signal is a data stream. It allows a MUCH higher quality, and multiple stations on the same frequency. HD Over the air radio if you have decent stations in the area(We have a bunch and most are good), can take advantage of added quality of most modern Stereos.

SAT SiriusXM - The newest receivers from Sirius do have better quality than previous. We still use it when traveling, The ROAD Trip Station is actually one of our favorites. Yes, the compression can cause lower quality, but in the new radios it is better. Not as good as HD FM, or any of the connected apps in the their higher quality.
Not too many (if at all) HD stations in the Edmonton AB area...boo! I wonder when you say "newest sat receivers" I would gather my 2018 Expy is not on that list. Would any of the car receivers fall into that category? Like F150's or Expy's?

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Very True

FM can broadcast any amount of Data (within limitations of the Freq Wave Length) on that single freq so a HD song will sound great. Sirrus transmits on a very narrow range of bands with a ton of stations so they have to pick and choose which stations get the higher bit rates as they ALL have to share the Freq. IMO most Sirrus stations sound pretty crappy no matter what kind of receiver you have.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not too many (if at all) HD stations in the Edmonton AB area...boo! I wonder when you say "newest sat receivers" I would gather my 2018 Expy is not on that list. Would any of the car receivers fall into that category? Like F150's or Expy's?
Any of the receivers after the Merger of Sirius and XM with the extended channels are better. @LazSlate nailed it with his comment. It is more about the additional channels they could use, that more of the channels get more "bandwidth".

Deep8174

Reaction score
Is your Spotify set to High? Most likely it is set to Auto or Normal. Both will most likely not take advantage of Surround. An FM signal needs to be HD to take advantage of it fully. If the source is a good source, surround most definitely has a better balance. Just want loud, yes Stereo is louder at the same volume setting, but definitely not as balanced or full. It is only left and right channels, so the exact same sound profile is coming out of all the left speakers, and all the right speakers. Center gets both.
I don't remember if I changed the audio quality to high but I'll give this a try and set the sound on surround.

Side note: do you know if there is a way to access the internal DSP ford used to tune the audio? Or is it only possible to tune via external DSP (e.g. AudioControl)? I had to disable ANC on FORSCAN to stop the annoying rumble coming out from the aftermarket speakers. Was wondering if I tuned it if I can leave ANC on for a better in-cabin experience; also getting the sound right to my ears of course.