2nd row seat rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, I bought a brand new 2018 Expedition in late 2018. After about 6K miles, I noticed the rattling in the second row drivers seat. The rattling is a fast metal sound that seems to start after a bump, but will continue as I drive. If I fold the seat, it stops for awhile. Since the rattle happens with minimal bumping, I assume it has something to do with a wound/charged piece of metal (like a spring). I took it to the dealer 5 times and they had a hard time reproducing, but even when they did, they couldn't find it before it stopped. I have torn the seat down to the frame and tried to find it. No luck. I got so desperate, I bought a used seat from a salvage yard and installed. Noise gone! But within 3 months of the new used seat installed, the rattling started on the passenger side seat. Ugh!! If I discover more, I will post.
Just remove the entire seat and floor bracket? Problem gone. No more rattle

Kidding.. Has anyone tried applying grease goop onbthe metel parts/linkages

Last edited:

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For the first produced 2018, there was a recall for the sec row seats, about the wrong bolts being used on the tracks or something, causing them to rattle. Also, if people are getting them used, sometimes people either add a seat or delete the middle seat. Good luck, has anyone taken them to a mechanic and had them look at it?

michaeldd

Reaction score
My 2023 has this issue and it drives me nuts! Seems to do it even when my kid is sitting in the seat. Haven't taken it back to the dealer yet.
Really annoying and not expected.

budearp

Reaction score
This isn’t a new problem with the Expedition, I have a 2015 with same issue, what I’ve determined is where the seat “Latches” down to the Floor picture “hook-loop” that’s operated by a lever to open and spring to return. I believe that the noise is coming from that METAL TO METAL mechanical connection…and then resonates up through everything metal in the seat so this makes it hard to diagnose! The Loop in the floor and/or the hook on the seat has to be coated to prevent metal to metal. By coat I am going to apply “FlexSeal” or liquid rubber (thin coat so it’ll still latch) to see if this quieten downs the rattle! FYI this is NOT a exclusive problem to Ford my 2 previous Suburbans had the exact same rattle…and the flex seal corrected it, Bear in mind when the truck is New, both pieces have a pretty good coating of powder coat so No Rattle, but vibrations and bumps shaking the seat causes to powder coat to “wear off” and thus a rattle….the flex seal isn’t a permanent fix as it too will wear off over time and require recoating…plastic dip is the best..or longest lasting repair….let me know thoughts

OU sig

Reaction score
We have a new 2023 Limited and I can hear an annoying rattle from he back. I have been told maybe the sunroof?
we used to have a 2007 Tahoe and had 0 rattles from the inside other than the dash recently. but never seat noise from behind

Sure this 2023 Limited is nice but is it $70+k nice?..
I guess so since we paid for it