2nd row seat rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03Cobra

Reaction score
My 2021 has 2600 miles on it with 2nd row captain chairs I have noticed this past week that the passenger side passenger seat has started to rattle when driving over normal roads with some bumps here and there. The rattle seems to be coming from the tracks. I can hit the back rest and not that hard and it seems to make the track rattle sounds like a loose fit between 2 metal parts causing the rattle sound the other chair doesn't seem to do it. Has anyone else noticed this and is there a fix. And yes the seat is locked into position.

Last edited:

Helldiver14

Reaction score
I'm having the exact same problem with my '18 Limited. I've tried everything and can't get to the bottom of it. It seems as it you lift it then slam it, it'll quiet down for a little while, but come right back. No permanent fix as I can't find the source of the rattle. Post if you find it please

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One way I've tested for rattles like this in the past, was to get a bundle of the plastic door/window shims from a hardware store, since you can break them off at different thicknesses. I'll wedge them between as many metal to metal surfaces I can get to, test for rattles, then one by one remove them till it comes back. They work really well for isolating the root cause and the variable thickness is super helpful.

Generally, I've seen things like rubber or plastic isolators, or guide tabs missing between moving parts, like the track that allows it to move foward/backward. Closely inspect things like electronics, if you have heated seat modules etc, they may not be mounted properly under the seat.

Helldiver14

Reaction score
I think I may have found the source for us. If you tilt the seat forward and look at the bottom clips where it locks in to the rings, there are two squiggly metal rods on each side. The one closest to the passenger door seems loose and makes the clunking noise. Seems like it isn't as secured as the driver's side metal rod.

37ford

Reaction score
Been having the same problem for 6 months. I tried loosening the tracks from the floor and pulling them closer together to remove some slack, but that didn’t really help.

I’ve been hoping for a fix to come along. It’s very frustrating to spend that much dough and the seats are rattling at 30k miles.

sixstring

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 20 2nd row pass capt chair always rattles like there is loose change in it. Cant figure it out. Started at 5k miles.

37ford

Reaction score
The seats move and make a noise every time the car shifts weight, whether there is someone in the seat or not. The whole thing just feels like the mounting bolts are loose, but the slack is in the track somewhere.

Nor_Cal Expy

Reaction score
Did anyone ever find a solution to this problem? I am experiencing the same problem with the tracks of the rear seat.

dtgrall

Reaction score
So, I bought a brand new 2018 Expedition in late 2018. After about 6K miles, I noticed the rattling in the second row drivers seat. The rattling is a fast metal sound that seems to start after a bump, but will continue as I drive. If I fold the seat, it stops for awhile. Since the rattle happens with minimal bumping, I assume it has something to do with a wound/charged piece of metal (like a spring). I took it to the dealer 5 times and they had a hard time reproducing, but even when they did, they couldn't find it before it stopped. I have torn the seat down to the frame and tried to find it. No luck. I got so desperate, I bought a used seat from a salvage yard and installed. Noise gone! But within 3 months of the new used seat installed, the rattling started on the passenger side seat. Ugh!! If I discover more, I will post.