2nd row seating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jabert

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I've read several threads that hit all around this question but don't answer it directly. Help, please.
I have an '01 EB with second-row captain's chairs. A full, flat floor when the second row is folded down is what I need, so I want to replace the two chairs with the two-part bench seat. I've picked one up at a junkyard, in great shape, cheap! The retractable single seat will bolt right in where the captain's seat is. No problem.
Before I start pulling up carpet . . . does anyone know if the mounting holes for the bench part of the second row are already in the floor-board? In other words, did the vehicle come off the assembly line set up for either seating option or is my swap impossible?
Thanks for any advice you can offer!
JA

Jim Brown

Reaction score
Good question, I'm watching this thread as I want to install CPT chairs and currently have the bench.

00XTL

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would think they would have the holes their. Not sure on the older models but on the newer ones the bolts go straight through the body. So if you wanted you could crawl underneath the vehicle and see if you can find the holes. Otherwise you can always place the seat where you want it and drill the holes your self?!?!

OP
OP
J

jabert

Reaction score
On the first gen Expy, the factory-installed captain's chairs have threaded receivers welded into the floorboard rather than bolts going through the floor. I'm hoping those are there for the bench as well, hidden under the carpet. If they're not there, I could just drill a hole through the floorboard and secure the seat with a bolt/nut and seal it well. Not sure I want to go through all that, so I'll probably just stick with the seating as it is if it's not set up at the factory for the option.
If someone knew for certain about the mounting holes being there or not, it would have saved me pulling up the carpet, but I guess the only way to find out for sure is to do that.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I've read several threads that hit all around this question but don't answer it directly. Help, please.
I have an '01 EB with second-row captain's chairs. A full, flat floor when the second row is folded down is what I need, so I want to replace the two chairs with the two-part bench seat. I've picked one up at a junkyard, in great shape, cheap! The retractable single seat will bolt right in where the captain's seat is. No problem.
Before I start pulling up carpet . . . does anyone know if the mounting holes for the bench part of the second row are already in the floor-board? In other words, did the vehicle come off the assembly line set up for either seating option or is my swap impossible?
Thanks for any advice you can offer!
JA

@doodlebugs-93 Didn't you change out your 2 row seats? got any pics?

Plati

Reaction score
Drill your own holes? ... uhhhhggggghhhhh ..... hope that was humor

OP
OP
J

jabert

Reaction score
Several people suggested drilling through the floorboard - and even said they did it - in threads about similar projects. There was no follow-up about the nightmarish problems they must have encountered later on! That's the reason I'm sticking with the original seating if the floor isn't set up for the bench-seat option on the assembly line.

OP
OP
J

jabert

Reaction score
To answer the question that's been plaguing mankind . . . no, the Expy is not set up for interchangeable seating at the factory. It's one or the other - bench or captain's chairs. Be happy with what ya got. Nothing under the carpet of the latter is designed to hold the bench portion of the former in place. Completely different set-up, and trying to make-shift some design to make it fit would be a disaster. It could even be dangerous in a collision.
What is interchangeable is the single-seat part of the bench. It bolts right in where the passenger's side rear captain's chair fits. It's about an inch narrower, isn't as thickly padded, and doesn't have the armrest. What it does have is complete retractability toward the front seat, making access to the 3rd row seating much easier. I've opted for that.
To solve the problem of the un-level floor between the two chairs when they're folded down, I fashioned a simple carpeted wooden platform to insert in that space. Not the most elegant solution, but it does make the floor level for loading equipment, transporting four-legged friends, etc..
Anyone near Atlanta need the bench portion of a rear bench seat, cheap? Medium prairie tan, in excellent shape.

nobycane74

Reaction score
Cannot provide advise...however this is 4th time that I have either read or actually seen in some capacity an '00-'02 having the 2nd row seating being "captain chairs'. Which begs the question, was this an actual option for the 00-02? Or has individuals been extremely crafty with obtaining and installing these chairs. because the ones I have seen in person are almost factory quality craftmanship and having that center area empty between those 2nd row chairs seemed helpful for those who have it for transport of materials or items. I'd seen one where there was another type of center console with power, etc. (which had to been aftermarket).

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can drill thru and use fender washers underneath to strengthen the base, Check mcmaster.com for size & thickness.