3,000 Mile Fuel Report, Lifted Part 3.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
3,000K Fuel Report Part 'Tres'

**FX4, HD Tow, 3.73s, lifted 2-inches F/R, chin spoiler deleted, Nitto Terra Grappler (295/70-18s 34.3s at 10.6 pounds+ over stock wheels and .25 inch spacers) for an exact total combined of a 3-inch lift. Regular drive mode, 2wd, 87 octane, tire pressure ranged from 35-40 PSI when warmed up**

NOTE 1: My speedo is accurate with the taller tires based upon two GPS measurements (thank you FORSCAN) and I have adjusted my fuel reading meter to w/i less than .5 mpg accuracy--but I used actual math for the below measurements, NOT the computer measurement).

NOTE 2: YMMV, as a lot of this is based upon driving style. I am no "hyper-miler" but I do drive gently, consistenly, roll when I can but this is naturally and not constant fixation.

NOTE 3: My 3.73 rear-end ratio has been reduced to 3.49 (due to the 34.3 inch taller tires coming from a 32.1 inch tall previous).

https://www.intercotire.com/tire_size_change_gear_ratio_calculator

98% highway, outside temps ranging from 45 degrees to 88 degrees, with 850lbs of people and kit, I averaged 17.46 ACTUAL mpg (measured at the pump, not computer) over the 3000 miles stretch up and down the East Coast (last trip it was 19.29 mpg). A loss of 1.83 mpg.

Note, as usual there were some high winds, driving rains, and this trip had quite a few more stops in search of Dunkin Donuts on the return trip lol. Also, it should be noted on the return trip there was absence of passenger and her luggage & kit, and the cooler was empty--so overall approximately 300 pounds less.

My impression with the 17.5 mpg is that I wish it was more solidly in the 18s but I did do some well proven detriments to 1) vehicle aerodynamics (lift, no spoiler, wider tires, spacer) 2) rolling reistance (wider AT tires with more road grip), and driveline weight (heavier tires). And if you talk to the Toyota guys, they feel lucky to get mid 17's with stock full-sized 4wd Tundras, LCs, and Sequioas. Even the slightest mods seem to toss their MPG in the toilet.

I had seven (eight last time, I did delete 1-2 of them this time due to overlap with too much city driving) measured fill-ups during this period, trying to be consistent as possible and trying to find level ground at stations though this was not always the case.

If I had to guess, it was still 99% highway, very little idling, and still with several bathroom/coffee stops. There was some stop/go traffic as well and maybe 3 +/- full throttle on-ramp romps. Speeds nearly always ranged from 65-80mph, and if I had to average it I'd say overall 75 mph.

I do drive gently and do not know if I was running winter gas or not. I also noticed my "slow speed mileage" seemed off almost the same percentage (40-50 mph). I would recall seeing 27 mpg just dawdling along at those speeds, but now they seem to be 24-25ish. This part is less proven on my part though.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What time of tear was each trip? For me, it seems that the blend of gas changes mileage, but that may be (in the winter) that the vehicle idles to warm up and consumes more gas than expected.

did you do these trips at the same time of year, or close together, assuming a different blend of gas?

OP
OP
Expedition Dave

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The two trips were over the last two months. I had three trips, but my fuel mileage indicator was off, and did not take it as "seriously" as the past two strips (stock vs modded).
1) I wonder if I was empty and I never went above 75mph with ONLY fuel stops, what the MPG would be (but the before/after comparo would not be fair)
2) I wonder how much the 3 inch chin spoiler would help?
3) If I raise the nose 1 more inch, what would it do for my mileage (w/o spoiler).
4) No idling, no use of A/C

FWIW, I will never be able to duplicate these exact 3000 mile x2 tests again on the same road--at least for the forseeable future.

Keep in mind too, this truck has only two options--the FX4 and the HD tow pack. You guys with moonroofs, vented seats, power running boards, etc. might be packing on the weight as well before you even roll.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Best mileage I have ever seen with my lifted Platinum Max with HD tow was 19 MPG towing a 14’ Uhaul enclosed trailer full of furniture across Wyoming. Anything over 65 mph the trailer would get a crazy vibration that would come back into the cabin like driving over rumble strips. It was a one way trip for the trailer. Coming home we where 75 plus. I can’t get over 15-16 above 75.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Expedition Dave

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Foz, that is still pretty EPIC, even at 65mph with a trailer? Lifted with your current rim/tire combo? I mean did you have a 20 mph tailwind ;-)

"Best mileage I have ever seen with my lifted Platinum Max with HD tow was 19 MPG towing a 14’ Uhaul enclosed trailer full of furniture across Wyoming"

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Foz, that is still pretty EPIC, even at 65mph with a trailer? Lifted with your current rim/tire combo? I mean did you have a 20 mph tailwind ;-)

"Best mileage I have ever seen with my lifted Platinum Max with HD tow was 19 MPG towing a 14’ Uhaul enclosed trailer full of furniture across Wyoming"

No, it’s the speed that kills the MPG’s IMO. The extra weight didn’t bother the truck at all. I think I could get 19-20 if I took a long trip at no greater than 65 MPH Expy by itself. But it would drive me nuts. In Utah our freeways are 80 MPH and that kills it even more. I found the same to be true with my 6 speed F-150 and my diesel Superduty. 65 seemed to be the sweet spot. Aerodynamics of Ford vehicles can’t be that great, but the power is. I have tried the hypermiling or what ever they call it in eco. It’s still sucked and I enjoy driving so hammer down. I’m going to get a free electric car from Biden pretty soon. So I am going to enjoy sucking petrol while I can. [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Expedition Dave

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, drag is exponential and Ford spent a lot of time trying to get these bricks as aero as possible. And even at 65 the UHaul is causing drag (I would think).

But above 70-75 on the highways where you can travel that is where I did my testing. Honestly, if I could have just locked it on one speed, and driven it 3,000 miles we would have had a more legit test lol but these jaunts are as good as it is going to get, real world on this forum IMHO.

If you spend enough time staring at the Exes and new 'Hoes, note they tend to be more bulbous in the front and have the slightest taper to the rear. This is by design.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Speed affects mine a lot. 60 mph it will make 25-26 mpg if you baby it. 80 Mph and its like 21.

JimW

Reaction score
3.73 with 34" tires, 5 star 87 Daily/tow tune
I'm only getting around 15mpg. I would like to see more. I would like to use premium to see how much more I would get but since the gas prices are going up...

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01