3.8 to 8 mpg average.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KBL3

Reaction score
2004 ssv Runs Great. Gas smell at times, no leaks. 108k no codes smooth and strong. Does have some weight (tools) in back.
Where to start? My Crown Vics got 10 locally 24 hi way. Less than 5mpg is hard.

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would look for a cracked tank or fill connection. How many gallons to fill it up at 1/2 tank. Mine is about 15 gal.

OP
OP
K

KBL3

Reaction score
I will check. When I first got it two years ago it was leaking at the fuel filter. That was fixed correctly. No Leaks, drips, or codes. Gauge does not move if I don't drive it. It held for two months while sitting. 22gal at about 1/4 tank filled it. Holds 28 I believe. 2004 ssv new air filter. I do use A/C.

OP
OP
K

KBL3

Reaction score
I was wrong on mpg. My best was 6.4 mpg worse was 3.7. stock tires. I think I will check speedometer with GPS to see if it is under reporting. Trip mileage equals odometer increase to next fill up but they could both be wrong. I do not drive it hard or tow. 2 wheel high 99.9 % of the time.

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You might do your own calculation.
Fill your tank, track your mileage using your trip mileage gage. After next fill-up divide miles driven by gallons used.

OP
OP
K

KBL3

Reaction score
I have done that for over two years. That's why I wonder if it is recording less than actual miles traveled.

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can use your GPS on your phone to verify your speed and miles traveled. Good way to check, and it's free.

Noxdowne

Reaction score
My “project vehicle” is virtually the same as yours.

1.6 kilometers in a mile and I apologize that my information is in metric.

I drive a ton on the highway between Manitoba and British Columbia.

At 115kms per hour it burns 15.8 liters per 100 kilometers driven

At 100kms per hour it burns 15.2.

I bought Lucas fuel injector flush and I mixed it 50% “heavy”. After two tanks I changed the fuel filter. I now run it at 50% strength in every tank along with 87 Octane fuel.

I went on Amazon and purchased the high output (lol) red coil packs and a set of eight iridium plugs. No way I was doing that job so I paid a shop to install all of that and clean my air intake sensors for me. Five hours later eep.

So a clean air filter and measuring/metering/sensor system.

New coil packs and the best iridium plug. I used auto lite xp103 four packs off Amazon as they are the ford plug builder. EXACT duplicates.

I did a fluid exchange with new Mercon V.

My tires are all season 70’s in a factory size. That’s a huge factor as is height.

SSV 5.4 3:73’s and I never turn on the air.

Jeff