325/60/18 on stock rims?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EXPO

Reaction score
I have a 2005 expo stock with OEM 17 x 7.5 wheels, looking to lift and level. and then get 2008 18 x 8.5 King ranch wheels with 325/60/18 ? do you think this would work? OR any info or help on a tire size for either the 17 0r 18 in. OEM wheels with a 3/2 level kit? Thanks for any info or pics

RustyH

Reaction score
You're going from a 30" to a 35" tall tire. You'll need a suspension kit and a lift kit, along with new shocks and eventually new ball joints, new idler arm, lower rear end gear change and electronic speedometer kit.

I run a 285/75/R16 with a Trailmaster 4" suspension kit and Rancho 9000 air adjust shocks. I've replaced the idler arm 4 times in the last 10 years. I've even got a dual steering dampener and all new bushings, but it still keeps going bad.

The Expeditions were NOT designed to be lifted. I'm not saying it can't be done, just be prepared to spend some money to do it right if you decide to go that route. Just don't think you can throw on a three inch body lift kit and some big tires and wheels and head on down the road without any problems.

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
The Expeditions were NOT designed to be lifted. I'm not saying it can't be done, just be prepared to spend some money to do it right if you decide to go that route. Just don't think you can throw on a three inch body lift kit and some big tires and wheels and head on down the road without any problems.

I threw on a 3 inch Body Lift and some 35 inch tires and headed down the road with out any problems....I didn't regear, change my speedo and every Expedition needs new ball joints eventually. But I had to stick 2 inch spacers in the rear coils ( about $50) and do a torsion crank on the front ( about zero $$$) to clear my 315/75's. Maybe I'm just lucky. Mine's a 98 though, not one of the newer mall crawlers.

Last edited:

rptr00

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 3/2 level kit on my 04 Expy with the OE wheels and had backspacing issues. You will need 1 1/2 spacers or rims with 4.5" backspacing. Stock wheels have 6" backspacing and rub at full lock. I am now running 17x9 on 315/70/17 and love it! I did have to trim the front bumper cover and a little off the plastic OE running boards. plan to swap those out with step bars later on.

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With a 325/60/18 wide tire I would recommend a 9 inch wide rim. This tire/wheel combo will only fit once you're lifted. This tire will not fit on a 7.5" rim at all, and would just barely fit a 8.5" rim if it does fit.