Raptor Wheel and 33-inch tire fitment question on a 2WD XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Expy82

Reaction score
Hi all. I already searched and didn't find anything specific enough. If there is a prior thread about it, I apologize in advance. I have seen Raptor wheels on 2nd gen 4x4 expys, but I just want confirm the below Raptor wheels (17x8.5") and 285/70/17 tires will fit on a stock ’06 XLT 2WD without any major rubbing or clearance issues? I can put on a leveling kit on if needed. I believe the Raptor wheels have a slightly lower offset than the stock 17x7.5's. I want to run 33” tires, but would like a slightly wider than stock wheel (larger than 7.5”). Thanks.

Attachments

• Raptor Wheels.png
    Raptor Wheels.png
    51.2 KB · Views: 4

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have 285/70/17 tires (33s) on mine. They fit with no rubbing before I installed the lift it has now. I am not aware of any significant difference in ride height between the 4x4 and RWD Expeditions, so it should work. I have read that the Raptor wheels somehow do not fit on the rear hubs perfectly and that you have to grind some metal off of the rear hub, but I have not confirmed that for myself. Please post here if you end up going for it. Probably will look cool.

OP
OP
Expy82

Expy82

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the reply Vincent, that's what I needed. Also, I wanted to ask, how is the ride with the Bilsteins (4600's or 5100's?)? I am debating doing it as well, but I hear mixed stuff as to ride quality compared with OEM. I'm mostly 95% highway driving, but the potholes are bad around here. I was driving my wife's 2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon before so I'm ok with a less-than Cadillac ride and love how you don't feel any major bumps with the Wrangler's suspenion. Also, is a moderate lift like yours hard on the other suspension joints (like CV) over time compared with the stock height?

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
how is the ride with the Bilsteins (4600's or 5100's?)
Ride better, corner and maneuver better, superior in every way. What is not to like, is just the price. Well worth it in my opinion.

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the reply Vincent, that's what I needed. Also, I wanted to ask, how is the ride with the Bilsteins (4600's or 5100's?)? I am debating doing it as well, but I hear mixed stuff as to ride quality compared with OEM. I'm mostly 95% highway driving, but the potholes are bad around here. I was driving my wife's 2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon before so I'm ok with a less-than Cadillac ride and love how you don't feel any major bumps with the Wrangler's suspenion. Also, is a moderate lift like yours hard on the other suspension joints (like CV) over time compared with the stock height?
@Expy82 The ride quality is way better than the old worn out Motorcraft struts. I did a post a couple years ago about my suspension upgrades and how it improved ride quality and handling. Mostly I did it for offroad performance, but it improved street performance, too. See link below. I agree with @Yupster Dog in that it is worth it for the Bilsteins. Have heard alot of negative feedback about several cheap-o Amazon struts, and Monroe (surprisingly). Motocraft OEM struts are actually pretty good for all around use.
No issues with additional wear on suspension from the lift. I have replaced my upper/lower ball joints and outer tie rods, but it had 150k miles, so that was just normal wear and tear.
Keep us updated on how it goes for you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire