3rd row headrest removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

durtynacho

Reaction score
If anyone circles back to this and is interested, its very easy to remove the power folding 3rd row headrests. Simply pull the release button out sideways, pull the cover up and off, and remove the 8 little screws (1/4" socket). Pop the cover off, remove the cable that activates the fold mechanism, and pop the arms out of the 2 springs. Takes all of 3 mins.

How do you pull the release button out? It’s pretty much flush with the rest of the plastic cover and I see now way to get ahold of it without using some sort of pry tool, which would likely damage it.

Is your Expedition a 2018 or newer?

rjjones1972

Reaction score
its a very simple release mechanism, so won't be a problem. Its a little cable pull (like a bike brake), and a spring to pull it back into position. I'm not worried when/if I put it back. In the years I've had it, i've only used the 3rd row once.
Have you tried to reattach the headrests? Neither of mine will stay in the up position. I’m thinking the cable isn’t threaded correctly. Can’t find anything online showing what the set up should look like