3rd row headrest removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benyl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My daughter is insisting on sitting in the 3rd row in her car seat. I can't seem to remove the headrest and neither could the dealer. Anyone done it? is it even possible?

aporthole

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it has the power folding 3rd row, I don’t believe the head restraints are removable. The center one might be if I’m remembering correctly, but the outer ones aren’t. If it is a basic XL/XLT without the power folding 3rd row, those ones are removable.

Yukon Joe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My daughter is insisting on sitting in the 3rd row in her car seat. I can't seem to remove the headrest and neither could the dealer. Anyone done it? is it even possible?
I tried this weekend as well and was unsuccessful. May need to remove part of the cover to access the mounting hole. The will be a release that needs to be pushed down to allow the head rest to come out.

@Yukon Joe

8131full

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone come up with a solution to remove the 3rd row headrest? My 3rd row is always down and would love to use that cavity for storage.

aporthole

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 3rd row outboard head restraints are not removable if you have the power fold feature.

8131full

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If anyone circles back to this and is interested, its very easy to remove the power folding 3rd row headrests. Simply pull the release button out sideways, pull the cover up and off, and remove the 8 little screws (1/4" socket). Pop the cover off, remove the cable that activates the fold mechanism, and pop the arms out of the 2 springs. Takes all of 3 mins.

aporthole

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If anyone circles back to this and is interested, its very easy to remove the power folding 3rd row headrests. Simply pull the release button out sideways, pull the cover up and off, and remove the 8 little screws (1/4" socket). Pop the cover off, remove the cable that activates the fold mechanism, and pop the arms out of the 2 springs. Takes all of 3 mins.

That is great to hear. Have you tried reattaching it after removal to verify the power flip feature still works normally when you hit the power fold buttons and the head restraint flip button from the driver position?

8131full

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is great to hear. Have you tried reattaching it after removal to verify the power flip feature still works normally when you hit the power fold buttons and the head restraint flip button from the driver position?
its a very simple release mechanism, so won't be a problem. Its a little cable pull (like a bike brake), and a spring to pull it back into position. I'm not worried when/if I put it back. In the years I've had it, i've only used the 3rd row once.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've installed our car seats with the headrest in place. Its not ideal, but its safe in my opinion. My wifes a safety nut and she agrees that its safe enough for her to let us go cross country like that.
It does make the seat sit a little funny. I'm sure it depends on the shape of your particular car seat tho.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire