3rd row seat room

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SteveC

Reaction score
I'm planning on buying an Expedetion. I like the 3rd row leg room in the 2003 and newer trucks, but have considered an older model. Any oppinions on the lack of leg room or other issues with the pre-2003 models.

Thanks,
Steve

stang99x

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 98 Navigator, and the back seat, well lets just say leaves some to be desired. I can fit three kids in car seats back there no prob, but I also have captain middle seats, which reduces the seating capacity. If you read the capacity stated by Lincoln, they say 8, but I say it would be a cold day in hell four adults say like that for more than 3 minutes bearably

danketchpel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd say the main thing about the pre - '03 third row seats is that they don't fold down flat out of the way. I found that to be a major issue. If you want a flat loading space you have to take the third row seats out.

BUT, the one thing they did better on the earlier Expy's is they included a folding cover for the gap between the second row seats and the rear floor when the seats are folded down. The later trucks have a STUPID gap. Ford regressed big time on that one!!!

shov76

Reaction score
My brother has a 00 EB andthe 3rd seat sucks. An adult will not like sitting there at all. Maybe if his chevy broke down and he needed aride but nothing more. When sitting, your knees are above your hips making the trip uncomfortable at best.
I have a 03 EB and what a diff! You sit higher and with the IRS your legs don't sit so high. Getting in the rear seat in the 03 is also much better that the 00.
Very comfortable, comparable to the 2nd row and the fold flat feature can't be beat

Keydo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Only kids (2-3) or one adult can sit in the 3rd row seating of either '03 truck or before '03.

The adult or kids in the 3rd row would be more comfortable in the '03 and newer vehicles than in the pre '03 vehicle.

The kids I'm referring to would range in age of 4-10.

Removing the 3rd row seating in the pre '03 vehicles is a pain and you'll need good strength to lift it out by yourself.

Eventually, you'll remove it and not put it back and find yourself in a situation where you need the 3rd row seats, but don't have them.

Also, when you do have them, you'll find yourself in a situation where you need the extra space and you'll need to remove the 3rd row seat. Then you either leave the 3rd row seat and return later to pick it up or you try to cram the 3rd row seat on top of the 2nd row seat.

rjstat

Reaction score
I got my 05 8 months ago and sat in the third row seats for the first time since I do most of the driving I did not care how much room was back there. I'm a big guy 6'2" and 285 lbs and there was plenty of room back there. The power fold seats are worth it also.

mustangrfast88

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well i just bought my 2000 expedition with the 3rd row and it aint to day to sit in the 3rd row but i wouldnt want to do it very far i mean over the holidays we had my son in his car seat and my wife youngest sistee in the 3rd row and she was fine and she is 21 and 5 foot 4 and she didnt complane but anybody taller wouldnt want to be back there very long