4WD Problem...7" of snow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cnuttgirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All-

I have searched the forum for the answer to my question, and thought I had it...but then my 4WD miraculously started working again.

My 4WD hasn't been working for about 6 months. One day I flipped the switch just to make sure it was still working and there was no indication on the dash and i didn't feel it engage. So i check the 4WD-lo too...same thing.

Then about 2 months ago I was trying it again to see if it had "healed" itself...I got the lights on the dash board, but didn't feel it engage. So i clicked over to 4WD-lo...nothing...BUT then the light wouldn't go off. After a few days the light went off.

While at work yesterday, we were getting 1"/hr of snow and i couldn't hardly get out of the parking lot. So, for fun, I clicked the switch AND IT WORKED!! I got the lights AND it engaged! I checked the 4WD-lo and it works too. It also turns off when i switch back to A4WD.

Has anyone else had this problem? Will this be a goose-chase looking for a ground fault or an exposed hot wire? I don't know anything about wiring, I'm a chemical engineer. Any help would be great.

Oh yeah, one more thing...about my "healed" itself comment: I know that electrical problems don't heal themselves...I've just had lots of problems that I think might be connected (maybe on the same wiring loop).

My driverside window stopped working and the day i was going to take it in to have the motor replaced, I heard this sound like some one had thrown rocks on the side of my truck and all the sudden the window would roll down. At that same time (when my window wouldn't roll down) my right front speaker and 4WD also didn't work. Soon as I heard that noise, all three worked, and have been working for about a year now.

So currently, window still works, 4WD works as of yesterday, and speaker hasn't worked all week. That's why I asked if it might be a ground fault or an expose hot wire or something. I get the impression that the wiring might be shorting out somewhere.

again, thanks for any help.