7k vs 10k with 2017EL tow package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shell waster

Reaction score
2 weeks before a fishing trip I discovered my old trailer frame is broken. Located to sure-trac trailers. One is 16 ft 7k tube top, weight is 1820 lbs. Other is 20 ft 10k weight is 2770lb. Gonna haul 2 atvs so the obvious choice is the 16ft. Only reason to get 20 is in case I wanted to haul something bigger like a tractor. About $800 difference in price. I have never towed anything this heavy with exp. Like I said it's an 17 EL with the tow package. Fixing the old trailer would require a pretty big rebuild...stupid aluminium.my drive/trailer parking spot is a little tricky, down hill with big curve...not sure how a 20ft would work.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Weight won't be an issue, you won't know 2700 pounds was even back there.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Always get bigger than you need. I say go with the 20ft. As said above even with 2 atv's on there the Expy will laugh at that trailer weight. I have a 17 El and tow a 35' toy hauler regularly that's close to 9k loaded and the Expy gets it done

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What caused your aluminum trailer to break? Welds? Cracks? I'd find an aluminum repairman/welder before I'd buy a steel trailer in the rust belt.

If 16 feet is sufficient for your needs now and in the foreseeable future, why consider a 20? Why not 22? 26? I could probably get two ATVs or a smaller tractor comfortably on a 12 footer. Like a Kubota BX, or a Deere 1023E. Single axle, it'd be just fine. Tractor weight, length of attachments, etc. will dictate need.