81,000 miles and counting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm taking next week off for Christmas and since I've noticed a bit of hunting in the throttle for the past couple of months, I'll replace the plugs. From what I've read and how it's running, I expect them to be a bit rough. Debating on replacing the COP's too....shit, for a hundred-fifty bucks, I can replace the whole shabam....does it make sense or do I wait for a COP to fail? Hmmm?

I've also decided to replace the rear tires but haven't taken the time to get them done yet...maybe while I'm off?

Overall, truck runs perfectly.....nothing has broke despite of it being highly modified with not 1 or 2 but THREE "twin-turbo" badges. There is a line of seam rust alone the inside rear passenger doors seams but nothing else on the exterior.

It's stiff my fav expy of the 3....

jeff

Mileage since new-18.3mpg

OP
OP
J

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well Train, I see nearly 100 people have viewed this thread, most after your comment and no one is arguing with you, only supporting....about replacing the COP's. The issue I'm concerned with is that often, the stuff that comes on the car is better than the "consumer grade" stuff we buy even from Motorcraft!!

Yeah, for now it isn't an issue so I'll pop the plugs in next week when they arrive and see how it is.

Yeah, this has been a major year at work. I have one meeting tomorrow at 7am with a group from Redmond WA to go over scope for a 20+mill bid on the 1st phase of the 10bil defense cloud award they got. I will walk in knowing for fact that I'm the low bid b/c I know how my comp bids....so my job is to raise their comfort level by showing them that we have not only a clear, concise understanding of the project, but rock solid numbers based on all design specified equipment as well as the intent of the documents, to secure the award. I will need sleep tonight to be on point tomorrow for a couple of hours.

The ironic part is that this is a pjt that was "hidden" from me and only select bidders were invited(we were not). These bids typically take 3 weeks. The bids were due this past Tuesday and I found out about it a week prior to the bid and now I'm the low guy....hmmm....LOL......anyway, I'm toast, burned out, stick a fork in done for the year....I won't be returning to the office after the meet if I can help it! I'm celebrating Christmas his w/e with Kerry and all our kids then I'm taking her away for a couple days to a nice hotel near Longwood Gardens west of Philly. It's a beautiful place in the summer and they deck it out for Christmas. Next we'll go to Intercourse PA to take her on a Buggy ride as a surprise. I'm trying to convince her that skiing isn't a really bad idea but I'm not sure she really wants to drag me off the mountain if my knee lets go......but it has a way of telling me to stop before it makes me pay badly...or it did 9 yrs ago, last time I went skiing!! I hope the alarm is still built-in!

You have a super Christmas Train too and enjoy your family and the time together. As the kids grow, they spread out so relish that time brother.

Do you want to hear something funny speaking of the Republic?? Did you ever think you'd LIKE something that Mitch McConnell is doing? Yeah, but he's "our guy" right now...... ROTFLMAO.....life sure is fun to watch things evolve......

jeff

oldpaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The issue I'm concerned with is that often, the stuff that comes on the car is better than the "consumer grade" stuff we buy even from Motorcraft!!

jeff

Can you back that statement up?
I'm not saying you're wrong. I just would like to know if that's true. Reminds me of when I used to think there were "cop parts" in cruisers. Then I talked to a guy who worked on cop cars and he said there's no such thing.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Motorcraft now has a line of parts called "Service Replacement". They're cheaper than the regular Motorcraft line and made to compete with the aftermarket crap sold in parts stores. The Service Replacement line is offered for cars "that have attained high mileage and do not require the lifespan of original quality parts". That's what you often get when you buy OEM these days.

Last edited:

oldpaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Motorcraft now has a line of parts called "Service Replacement". They're cheaper than the regular Motorcraft line and made to compete with the aftermarket crap sold in parts stores. The Service Replacement line of offered for cars "that have attained high mileage and do not require the lifespan of original quality parts". That's what you often get when you buy OEM these days.
That's interesting. That's not what the dealers are selling, right? I get a good deal on parts at my job and I usually buy from the local dealership.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The dealer will normally sell you the OEM grade because that’s what they use themselves and they order from FordParts itself. Often they give me FordParts instead of Motorcraft. The only aftermarket parts store stuff that I use occasionally is NAPA, they still have a variety of parts that are made in USA that hold up.

Last edited:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Not sure what dealers sell. Rock Auto often sells both, or only the cheaper choice, but usually calls it out as "service replacement," while the better one is labeled OEM. It can be confusing, and you really don't know what you're getting. I always banked on Motorcraft parts, but the last wheel bearing I bought from Rock was a "service replacement" labeled CHINA, at twice the price of other Chinese junk.

OP
OP
J

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FYI; Swapped the plugs today...82,539 miles I think......not bad right? A few deposits but overall, great color and form(not eaten or loaded )......I didn't think so bad either....until I drove it. MUCH cleaner acceleration for sure. I'll see what the mileage does now.

jeff

plugs at 82K.jpg