Rear brake pads and rotors junk at 25K miles.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stock pads? Or aftermarket?
I have aftermarket pads and rotors in the front and rear (just installed this past summer) Raybestos fully coated rotors and raybestos pads on all. The front produces minimum dust while the rear produces more. Its funny because before these were installed I had motorcraft oe up front and rear and the front produced the most dust so now its reversed lol

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rear brake pads on these are known to wear quickly. They have a lot less material than the aftermarket pads. The rotors are probably junk from the metal to metal contact of being worn to the backing plate.

They are? I got 80k out my first set on my 3rd gen EL. Heck, at 210k I'm only on the 3rd set in the rear. I'm actually shocked at how long they last - longer than any other vehicle I owned before or currently.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They are? I got 80k out my first set on my 3rd gen EL. Heck, at 210k I'm only on the 3rd set in the rear. I'm actually shocked at how long they last - longer than any other vehicle I owned before or currently.
Yes, they are known to wear quickly on the fourth gen’s. If you search the 4th gen forum for “rear pad” you will find multiple threads on the topic.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have aftermarket pads and rotors in the front and rear (just installed this past summer) Raybestos fully coated rotors and raybestos pads on all. The front produces minimum dust while the rear produces more. Its funny because before these were installed I had motorcraft oe up front and rear and the front produced the most dust so now its reversed lol
I use yellow and green ebc pads on my jeep and they are so freaking dusty. They work great so I deal with it but man they are dusty. I swapped to black wheels so it wouldn't bug me so much.

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's the update. According to the service manager who is a hell of a wrench, the wear is due to the rotors rusting and pitting, which tears the heck out of the pads which are not all that beefy. The rusting is caused by the salt air which is brutal. He say's that he see's the rotor rust all the time on vehicles that are beach side. I really cant dispute that as a home air conditioner condenser is junk at around 6 years due to salt air. Having said that other brands of trucks have not had this problem. Guess it's more of the price of living near the ocean.
Reinforcing your service manager's comments, you're on the wrong end of the Math/Physics: Iron Oxide is much harder and more abrasive than the uncorroded disk material which will accelerate pad wear, all other things being equal (which they aren't in this case) + As evidenced by lots of customer experience written up on this forum, the rear brakes are undersized for the job + the PCM is hitting the rear brakes when you don't even know it to prevent yaw, increase traction, etc. + these are vehicles that can hold a lot and can tow a lot, and whenever you do either or both, the ABS/proportioning is going to put proportionally more braking energy through the rear pads than when unloaded.

Hopefully, someone from Ford is reading and works to increase rear braking swept area to extend pad life to something close to what the fronts experience. I might even consider an aftermarket solution, if someone would develop and market it. Just saying...

xrayman3707

Reaction score
70,000 miles on my 2020 Max, still on the original brakes. I do drive it like I know that it weighs as much as a tank though...

Danm355

Reaction score
Went in for a oil change and tire rotation today. The rear pads were worn to the backing plate. The rotors were rusty and pitted. Tech says "you must live close to the ocean" that is the problem. He was right I do live about 75 yards from the ocean. But it is run through the car wash every other day to clean underneath. Told him I never read any notice that said this Expedition cannot be near the beach without suffering premature brake and rotor wear. What BS! My other cars have been just fine, only ford seems to have this problem. No it is not driven on the beach.
When I got rid of my 2019 Expedition in December of 2022 I still had the original break pads at 36,000 miles.

bobward757

Reaction score
I’d look at a better aftermarket rotor pad combo with better steel. I’ve run Power Stop heavy duty pads and rotors for years and get 100K of average driving out of them

John I

Reaction score
The rear pads on my 2019 XLT Max did not last 30K miles, while the fronts are at 40K and still look good based on a recent dealer oil change/inspection.
No mention from the dealer of proximity to the wetlands & ocean (approx 200 yds) as reason for dismal life of rear pads. I can't recall another vehicle that needed rear pads before the fronts. Full disclosure: I have been driving for nearly 5 decades so recollection of the service history for all prior cars may not be accurate.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire