97 Expy upper control arm question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kato

Reaction score
Upper control arm replacement question. Have 97 expy Eddie Bauer. Originally had air suspension. Converted it to coils, standard shocks. Need to replace front ball joints, so control arms. Some parts are listed as "except air suspension". What is the difference between upper control arms on 97 expy equipped with air suspension, versus regular suspension? Are they interchangeable? Thanks.

Jason Howland

Reaction score
Been looking at this myself. I see a LOT of aftermarket stuff that says no to air suspension. I got the impression that you couldn't use these if you have the air suspension, but should be okay if it's been converted over. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

What made you convert to regular suspension though? I'm under the debate myself about converting or not. I currently have the air ride suspension on my 2001 EB, but I get the impression that lots change it out?

OP
OP
K

Kato

Reaction score
I changed over because I replaced the compressor 3 times and just got tired of it. Also, the system was developing leaks so the compressor cycled on and off frequently. Converting is not a terrible job, but it is involved. The biggest issue was getting the coils in the rear - driveway job for me. You'll need a large pry bar to get them in there. Changing out the shocks isn't that hard IF the hardware isn't frozen. Finally, you'll want to disconnect the compressor and pull out the fuse (10 amp I think). Then you'll want to remove the idiot light on the dash that tells you the suspension is messed up. But, once it's done, the truck drives really well and no more compressor/air ride issues.

Calabrio

Reaction score
I converted the suspension because I had previously owned a Lincoln Mark VIII. I was meticulous about maintaining that system and very active in that car community. Despite this, it would still failing at the most inopportune times.

The moment i detected a leak in a coil spring on the Navigator, I yanked the system for a Monroe coil spring conversion, thinking I'd never have to worry about it again.

Unfortunately, Monroe was selling weak coils, so years later, they did send me a stronger set of much stronger replacement springs underwarranty

I just replaced the control arms on my Navigator.
When i checked, I realized I bought the set that DID NOT have air suspension.

When doing this, I would suggest you also purchase the Caster/Camber Adjusting Kit and make sure you tell the alignment shop that you've done so. Since it's not supposed to be adjustable without this part, they usually don't even check it.

Expd830

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used to have air on my 2000 expedition and change to standard. When I replace the upper control arms and other components I used the ones that say without air. I continue to replace my upper and lower control arms without air I usually use MOOG only parts for this and have no problems for the last 8 years