98 ford expedition transmission fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
need to top up so looked into it

98 owners manual from ford shows

Transmission fluid

Motorcraft MERCONt V ATF
4R70W 13.1L (13.9 quarts)

Motorcraft MERCON ATF
E4OD (4 x 2) 15.0L (15.9 quarts)
E4OD (4 x 4) 15.5L (16.4 quarts)

on the above, looks like mercon v replaces mercon
http://www.aftermarketnews.com/ford-announces-new-replacement-specs-for-mercon-atf/

from info i've come across so far, my 98/5.4/4x4 has the 4r100, prob calls for merconV,

pretty sure the 4r100 was introduced or came on some (prob later) 98 setups, tho not showing in a current ford owners manual

edit - the 4r100 is in the 98 ford service manual

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We've gone round and round more than once on this subject. The Mercon v is a semi synthetic, and the regular Mercon is not. I too have the 4r100 in my 2000, which for some reason is the one that doesn't take synthetic. To play it safe, we here recommend a complete drain, including torque converter, and clearing cooler.or better still a flush out if not too high mileage on trans. Sometimes mixing the 2 fluids can affect shifting. After the flush use the Mercon v.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
from the 2000 owners manual
Some transmission fluids may be labeled as dual usage, such as MERCON and MERCON V. These dual usage fluids are not to be used in an automatic transmission that requires use of the MERCON type fluid. However, these dual usage fluids may be used in transmissions that require the MERCON V type fluid.

MERCON and MERCON V type fluids are not interchangeable. DO NOT mix MERCON and MERCON V. Use of a transmission fluid that indicates dual usage (MERCON and MERCON V) in an automatic transmission application requiring MERCON may cause transmission damage. Use of any fluid other than the recommended fluid may cause transmission damage

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1031200-mercon-dexron-iii-vs-mercon-v.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1439710-ford-4r100-transmission-flush-fluid-recommendation.html

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All I know is mixing fluids no matter what's in print has had bad results down the line. I'm speaking within 20,000 miles, so you can print the bulletins from Ford, but are they going to replace your $3,000 dollar transmission when it acts up? Flush it or stay with the right fluid. That's all I'm saying!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Changed my fluid Monday. Mines 2000 with 4r100 as most here know. I cheated this time round as I dropped plug only from pan, no filter change, or cleaning pan. Also pulled little drain bolt on convertor. Put back around 10 qts of Ford Mercon v. The book says regular Mercon not v for the 4r100, but had dealer do a flush and refill with the V. Shifting great, overdrive engaging was a little rough, but was 1 to 1 1/4 quarts low till yesterday. Anyway anybody wanting to switch over, no problem as long as you get all the regular stuff out. Apparently dealers and a lot of shops don't want to install non v these days.

OP
OP

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ya, turns out owner manuals (ford at least) aren't necessarily updated to current available suitable replacement oils

the info in the om here is with oils available at that time & there have been many changes since

mercon & merc/dex3 mixes are still out there but ford stopped supporting mercon awhile ago

when mercon5 first came out, it wasn't a suitable replacement for mercon, but now with changes/updates, it is

so anyone wanting to top up, without knowing what is currently in the tranny, must do a full flush filter change to mercon5, to be sure

there were/are posts saying topping up with mercon/dex3 works with whatever is in there, but mercon5 is the only sure thing today

from 2013-14

https://www.explorerforum.com/forum...rcon-and-mercon-v-transmission-fluids.397643/

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/ford-pulls-the-plug-on-mercon.166085/

if u don't use merc5, be aware..
Speaking April 4 in Dearborn, Mich., to the SAE Technical Committee 3 on ATF, Gear Oils and Greases, Ford’s Chintan Ved announced that effective July 1, no new Mercon licenses will be issued. All remaining Mercon licenses will expire on or before June 30, 2007, leaving a clear field thereafter for Mercon V.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69