99 expedition Electrical problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

I have a 99 Expedition that also freaks out in the rain. The radio turns off when I put the truck in drive, and turns back on when in park or neutral. The beep...beep.. you hear when you leave the keys in the truck is on constantly (even with the keys removed) and the radio won't turn off. After a recent rain, the truck tried to start itself and burned out my starter. I couldn't disconnect the battery in time. I am going to check the ignition switch since all the problems are related to the ignition. I am going to check into it this weekend. Talking to different people, I don't think it is a windshield seal problem. I hear too often that the dealer reset the windshield and the problems persist. I think it is in the body/hood area. If someone figures it out before I do, please post. I am going to dismantle the dash and check with a hose to see where the leak is. I'll keep you posted.

OP
OP
G

I have a 2000 Expedition, 75K miles. On 1/1/04, I was on a very slushy road. The slush would come up over the hood on my windshield. The next day, I went to start the vehicle and when I went into drive the radio and clock stopped working and my 4X4 would not work. When I put it in park everything reset and came on. Later that day I had to run to the airport. The same thing happened only while driving the wipers stopped working, the windows stopped working and my dome lights would not work, on top of the radfio and 4X4 not working. I pulled over put it in park that reset everything (as soon as I went into drive the radio and 4X4 would stop working). I brought it into the shop on 1/6, they said they couldn't make the problems re-occur (the problems had gone away). I told them that I new there was a control module under the dash and one of my friens Expeditions had a water leak that caused the same problems. They are repalcing the module now and looking for the water intrusion point.

OP
OP
G

I forgot to add that when I shut off the Expedition and pulled out the key the heater fan would not automatically go off. I had to turn the fan knob to the off position.

OP
OP
G

Check the fuse panel under the hood and make sure that there is no water in it. It could either be that or maybe a GEM Module gone bad or has gotten wet. Fell under the dash for moisture. Leaks can cause lot of problems.

OP
OP
G

Experiencing somewhat of an electrical probllem myself. I can roll the windows down but they don't seem to want to come up without me mashing the #$%* out of the buttons. I'm afraid to take it to the dealer because they could give me the run around. Any ideas????????????????

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well.....I would check the buttons!!

The window/door lock buttons are on a panel that pries up really easy. From there you can check/repair/replace them.

Could be there is some junk under the rockers that can be blown out, or maybe they simply need to be replaced, but your are right, do this work yourself.

PaulC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do the buttons on all the doors behave in that manner? If not, I would go to a junkyard and pick up another switchpad for the driver's door.

cnuttgirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i read on an earlier post that the leak that caused the electrical problems was actually related to the cowl area. just the way the water ran off it, it was messing up a guys F150. he went to the extreme and put a silicon bead all around the cowl area...but his problem went away.

prob22

Reaction score
99 Expedition Electrical

I also have a 99 Expedition and is experiencing the exact same problem. I have been driving in the rain for the last three days then snow and sleet on the forth day. First the radio went out, then wiper blades, then the 4X4 light and washer fluid lights flashed while driving. I too later discoverd that putting the truck in neutral or park temporarily corrects the problem. Last night while the truck was off, the headlights began to flicker on and off. Now that I have read two other similar problems I am hoping to find some resolve.

Did you get an answer from the repair shop? I will put my truck in for service soon, but will be really curious find out what you know.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire