99 Mach aux in thru CD changer wiring?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackburb

Reaction score
I just picked up this fairly clean 99 Eddie Bauer with the Mach audio system. Sound is good enough for what I'll use if for, but would like to be able to jack in my MP3 player or phone. Seems it shouldn't be too hard to use the Cd changer wiring to accomplish this. Google hasn't been much help. Thanks!

juan214

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It can be done started this project never got to finish. I got to work by tapping into speaker wires. Never got around to getting the jack installed. If I restart it it will not be until spring. I did install and modified a 110 V power inverter the back of the console with outlets and mini on / off switch. Work out great for my laptop on the go. Currently using the tape deck adapter get one on eBay.

OP
OP
B

blackburb

Reaction score
Using a tape adapter now but that is not an acceptable long term solution. This can't be that hard as the cd changer has to have a line level input into the head unit.

tcwaltz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is several adapters you can get to make this happen that go in between the disk changer and the head unit. I think the biggest thing I ran into was you need to put a blank CD in the changer for it to enable the head unit in CD mode. After the cost of the adapters and what not I simply opted for an updated Head Unit that had BT and a USB in. For $268 I put in a Jensen VX7022 got bluetooth, USB input, navigation and backup camera capablity.

juan214

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice Head unit. Not a bad price, retail is closer to $300 to $750.00. Never pay full retail shop it.
But the mod is cheaper if you got time and the weather on your side. Simple two wire tap you'll need wire, connectors / connection, and the (I believe) 3.5 jack is all you need. Like I said I made the connection and tested it just never got the jack. My CD Changer does not play any sound that's why I started the project testing this it out. I think I still have a diagram somewhere need to look for it.

tcwaltz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is several ways to mod that radio and add a jack. while the cost may be less the time portion of it is likely more. I was opting for a head unit that basically brought the vehicle up to modern stardards for very little effort which is why I toss it out there. The VX7022 is 268 on Amazon and VX7021 (the new model) is around $368

OP
OP
B

blackburb

Reaction score
I did a full aftermarket in my Suburban. HU, eq, amps, sub, and 3 pairs of speakers. I used to install professionally. No interest in doing that with the Expy. This is pretty much just a camp truck (pic from yesterday)Expy at Camp.jpg