2001 XLT Replacing OEM (Alpine) 6 CD Remote Changer with...modern?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2001 XLT and am considering replacing the factory OEM (Alpine) Remote 6 CD Changer with either a bluetooth device, an iPod / Android interface or a audio media player.

The radio head is an OEM combo AM/FM/RDS/Cassette with rear controls. I don't want to change it out as it works just fine and looks good. I also don't want to rewire the unit.

I have pulled the 6 CD changer to reclaim my punk rock CD's that were trapped in it. The space it took up in the center arm rest is going to accommodate some CB/HAM/GMRS and commercial radio control heads. So I am left with the CD cable from the OEM radio to the arm rest. Though repairable, the CD player is definitely not going back in.

What type of bluetooth device, an iPod/ Android interface or a audio media player have folks installed using the OEM CD interface? I know there are simple AUX adapters, but I would like some level of integration with the CD controls on the radio if possible to skip tracks, change song, so I don't have to be looking at another screen while driving. A media player would be OK especially with control integration.

Any thoughts?

LAexpy

Reaction score
I did read that you want to keep the head unit - maybe consider one of those bluetooth interfaces that connects to the charger/lighter.

I ended up replacing the OEM factory radio (same as yours) with a double din Pioneer head unit - I got rid of the 6-disc changer and can connect via bluetooth to my cellphone.

Killer Ride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did the same and removed the old stock stereo and replaced it with a modern double din Dvd/ bluetooth/ app radio a couple of years ago. Couldn't be happier. Really modernizes the whole feel of the truck. Listen to audiobooks or watch DVD's on long commutes it is awesome. Also got a backup camera which also helps

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Killer Ride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My speakers were shot too and I wound up getting 4 new 3 ways

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
someone posted replacementradios.com and i went there...they had some interface options if you really want to keep the OEM...personally you'd be better off getting a new hu...checkout crutchfield.com and "outfit your car" and it will show you everything that will fit...and they have sales from the manufacturer so you have to browse frequently or subscribe email...i once bought pioneer avic-d3 nav/bt/dvd/etc and it was a $1200 hu...pioneer had a sale and got it for $600...my current pioneed NEX8200 was $2K...paid $1400...more importantly i refer crutchfield as a quick guide to see what fits and you can find what you like...then you can search the web for cheaper...however ctutchfield give you free harness and other things you may want like steering controls...you can get it all from them...the BONUS part that i like is that once you buy from them...as long as you keep that equipment you bought from them...they'll give you free assistance with it even if switching to different vehicle...i sold the avic-d3 and called like i was changing vehicles and they helped me install it...LIFETIME HELP.

Craig Lasnier

Reaction score
I replaced my OEM in my 99 with a pioneer NEX unit, fits it perfectly. Looks factory installed. Have all the modern convinces is great, sound quality is assume. I saved the OEM stuff in case the next owner wants stock. Good luck.

Frank Swygert

Reaction score
I just put a relatively cheap Android head unit in my 2003 Tundra. I have a 2005 Expy and might do the same. I'm pleased with the Android, lots of things on it I'll never use! The only disappointment is that I thought I'd be able to connect to my WiFi networks and transfer MP3 files directly to the unit easily. It can be done, but takes a bit of work -- I just loaded up a USB drive instead. The steering wheel controls work, and can easily be programmed to do whatever I want, not just their original functions. The older vehicles use a resistor bridge switch that connects directly to two wires on the head unit. A Gen1 and Gen2 Expy should use that type controls, later models use CAN bus and need a $60 control adapter such as the Maestro ($60 at Crutchfield). I've had the unit about a month now and everything is great! Came with backup camera, but I haven't' wired that in. While not really needed, it does work better than mirrors in some cases. I have a Garmin wireless backup camera on my Expy. I haven't used the navigation on the Android unit yet. Tried Google maps once, but didn't get a good map view, it has iGo on it also. Both might require tethering to a phone and using data -- I'm not interested in doing that. If it won't work unconnected I'll stick with my Garmin.

Here is the head unit I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081MTS18W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1