A/C Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jonhall

Reaction score
I have an 03 Expy, and my A/C has been acting up. I started using it a few weeks ago, and noticed it started switching from blowing out of the vents and blowing out of the defrost vents while Im driving, blowing from each for about 30 seconds at a time. I also added some R-134a to my system due to it being low, but while I was adding it, the pressure started red lining as it would turn on and off, but would then set at the right pressure, then red line again and go back.

Any thoughts?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your going to do any a/c work I suggest investing a set of gauges. There are cheap china sets for around $40-60 that will do the job for the average diy'er.

The following link shows the static pressure of the system based on the system temp prior to running. Both the low and high sides have equaled. The can/gauge setup will show high pressure at this point.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/r134apresstempconv.html

This next link shows the comparison between temp and pressures. Pressures will vary between manufacturers.

http://www.ackits.com/aacf/ptchart.cfm

I'm assuming that your using the can/gauge setup that most places carry. This only gives you a lighter wallet. What may be happening is that the can is raising the low side pressure enough to engage the compressor. The compressor runs but reduces the pressure on the low side & the low side cut out switch cuts the compressor off. Pressure builds back up and the compressor starts again. This cycle repeats over and over. This is happening from a low refrigerant level.

Another possibility....

There is a restriction on the high side. The compressor builds up pressure until the high side cut out switch disengages the compressor, pressure drops and compressor starts again. Cycle repeats just like the above scenario.
Again, we need to know what the pressures are.

A lower cost method of determining whether the problem is on the low side is to jump the low side pressure switch. If the compressor disengages while running the high side pressure switch is disengaging it. DO NOT jump the high side switch - can get costly if you do. These compressors can push over 400 psi into the system.

There is another possibility of air contamination, unfortunately you need gauges to determine that. Since you stated the system was low this may also be adding to the problem.

The system switching from vent to defrost may be vacuum related. Others may chime in on that.

buildingdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
vacuum issue

If your complaint is the the vent direction is changing on its own, then I would first inspect your vacuum lines. if all is good it could be a bad selector switch that is not directing the vacuum properly. I am not failiar with what the "nuetral" setting is, but if it is defrost, then your vacuum motor is losing vacuum and going to defrost (or dash vent) based on loss of vacuum.

if its a temp issue, I would contact a local ac shop for a checkout... typicall one hour of labor(65-85) then see if you can repair the problem and have them charge you back up. keep in mind if they pull your refrigerant out... it is yours... they either owe you the market price of the refrigerant or replace it in a leak free system without charging you for the price of your refrigerant, only labor recharge price. most book labor is 1 hour for evac and recharge. the evac is the important part of the recharge. have to have the best vacuum possible.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i still cant get to my lowside port to recharge mine...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker