a/c wont engage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bo_duke9

Reaction score
hey everyone, iam having trouble with me a/c not engaging and kicking on. its been out for awhile now but havnt had the time to fix it because of my deployment to korea. but this past weekend i went and got a new compressor to replace the other because the other one went out and later locked up. and after replacing it and vacuuming out the lines got to half a charge started in it with the ac machince hooked up to finish charging it and the clutch didnt engage.

so then i checked the fuses and relays that the owners manual say run the ac and the aux ac but still no luck. then i checked the connections and tried again nothing happens.

can anyone help or has had any of these problems before cause i really dont wanna take it to the dealership to get charged an arm and a leg to fix something that i can maybe fix that i just cant see. please help!!!

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
unhook the pressure switch that is on the dryer and jump the electordes with a small wire or paper clip and see if the compressor will engage, if it does watch the pressures with the machine

you could have a blockage since the old compressor locked up

the compressors are just really small engines like the one in your truck with nylon compression rings and one of those could have broke and blocked the system some where

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
not sure what year you have

if it is a 1st gen it will be infront of the battery it will have ac lines going to it and the switch is on the is a small 2 wire plug

OP
OP
B

bo_duke9

Reaction score
ive tried to jump all the sensors that i can find in the ac system but im not sure if i got the one your talking about but none of them worked anyways.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmmm, hooked up the a/c machine to "finish" charging it? Why didn't it start the charge process?
If you didn't flush the system then your new compressor will be short lived. Any time a compressor trashes itself you need to flush or replace all the components down line. This is a good time to replace the o-rings while your at it.

wakeboarderNH

Reaction score
Thread is kinda old - but heres my .02

Im in college for Diesel mechanics, and just got my certifacation in HVAC.

Look for voltage in the plug for the Electromagnetic Clutch. (Engages and disengages the pulley)

If there is voltage, your gap between the magnet and the pulley might be out of whack, meaning its not engaging the pulley. Check it with a non-metallic feeler guage.

Hope this helps!