AC clutch not staying engaged

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kwhowell6539

Reaction score
Hello all. My ac clutch will not stay engaged after 10 to 15 minutes. Fuse 11 was blown. Changed it but blew again. Checked pressures and everything was good (low side 25 and high side 185 at 1200 rpm). Ran good for 10 to 15 minutes then clutch started to only partially engage. Did this early in the day so not alot of ambient light in engine bay. I could see sparks as clutch was only partially engaging. Could it be the clutch going bad? Only does it after everything warms up.

2004 EB, 232k miles

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like the clutch is wearing out. I don't know if that is an independently replaceable part, or if the entire compressor needs to be replaced. Depending on the mileage it might be a good idea to replace it.

OP
OP
K

kwhowell6539

Reaction score
Thanks GaryH for the response. Finally determined the clutch was gone. Went ahead and replaced the compressor, drier/accumulater and condenser.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your AC pressures are low. Especially for the heat of Texas right now. You should be seeing 40 low side and 225-275 high side. Try adding some freon to the system and see how it does.

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How's it working now? Getting some good cold air?