A mechanic and 450 bucks later

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4Dude

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My truck had been hesitating for a little while, but it was still drivable so i was putting off taking it to my mechanics. Well i was driving home a few days ago and it got really bad, so i had to have it towed to my mechanic.

He called me to let me know it was a bad coil and a missing spark plug boot. So i had him replace the coil along with all new spark plugs and all new boots. I never knew these trucks don't have spark plug wires but they have spark plug boots :confused: who knew lol

Well for all the parts and labor, it came to 450 bucks. I'm quite happy with that amount as i thought it was going to cost so much more. did i get a good deal or should i start looking for a new mechanic?

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any gas engine has spark plug wires along with boots. The boot is just the rubber insulator for the connector. If the boot was gone it could of been grounding out.

450 is fairly hefty for them to put new wires and plugs on. Although I guess it took some time to figure out that was the problem, then to put all new ones in and parts so...

The boot coulda caused the bad coil.

Dist_Boot_Comparison.jpg

Grasshopper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had to replace a coil and a couple other things on my 95 Ford truck a while back, to the tune of almost 600 bones. gah! But that wasn't something that I knew how to fix, so oh well...

I dig your sig, 4x4. hehe. Toyota payin' ya? LOL!

ExpyBob

Reaction score
There are no spark plug wires since every cylinder has its own coil. (5.4L). Did he replace the coil too?

It still seems on the expensive side though.

Bob

XLTman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That sounds right to me when i had mine replaced it was around that ball park range just keep up them tune ups in check=) 4x4

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
8 plugs, one coil pack and seven boots . you did good
he cut you a break, napa online the parts are close to 180 dollers
then the labor

Last edited:
OP
OP

4x4Dude

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ya the reason i thought i did well was because i've heard of people on here paying 4-500 bucks for a spark plug job alone. I know we all know how labor intensive it is to get to those 2 back spark plugs lol.

I'm so happy though with the repair job. I swear the exhaust and engine sound better, and it even feels faster. It's probably needed these repairs since i bought it

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Really? I had whole new plugs put in, along with headers, a catback exhaust, and new EGR for 800. Must of done pretty well.

Er, then again that was labour only.

car54

Reaction score
Napa sells the coil pack for around $75.00 each, if you use accel they are $32.00 each, figure $40 bucks for plugs - so you didnt do so bad.

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Expedition recently had new sparkplugs installed, new air filter installed, oil + oil filter change, fuel filter change, and a differential fluid change--basically 100K mile service, minus the trans flush, which we didn't get to yet. My father and I did all the work over the course of a weekend. It took several hours overall, but it was certainly worth it. I believe Ford wanted close to a grand for all of that service, where we only spent around $100-200 and 5-10 hours if I remember correctly. If I had the dealership do all the work, I wouldn't be able to afford gas to drive the beast!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jefes_Shyt