Accel Super Coil Packs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an 07 3V 5.4 Expy and I'm debating the Accel Super Coils for replacement of the OEM coil packs.

Has anyone done this and did you feel a difference? I have about 50k on the plugs (replaced at about 100k) and I believe the coil packs are original.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ran the Accels in my Cobra for a couple hundred miles. They cleared up the part throttle issue I was having, but my car didn't like to idle with them. I ended finding some low mileage stockers and the car is much happier. Those coils are now in my buddies 03 Cobra and he says it's running good. Personally I'd stay with stockers, but you might get lucky with them.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have them in my truck. I also get a bit of a rough idle, but that could be from any number of issues with my truck, not necessarily the coils themselves. So far they have survived the coldest winter I've ever been apart of, and the truck still runs pretty smooth.

Accel advertises that they have more voltage to create a hotter spark or whatever but there isn't any noticeable difference in my opinion. I have had mine in for about 5 months now and have had no issues though minus the idle.

nonwoven29

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had my accel cop coils for about 10 years. No issues I can remember. Idel is a little choppy but I also run colder plugs gaped at .30 tr6 ngk.

I also don't really believe there any hotter then stockers.

The only coil I've seen and ready about to date that actually show improvements on a dyno are the wepon X. I know Shelby is using them on the super snake upgrades.
Very pricey!

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
My father (electrical engineer) was a car nut as well so I frequently bounced ideas off of him. Once I asked him about the Higher Voltage ignition coils and he basically told me that 'the voltage is determined by the resistance of the spark plug to fire. Higher voltage coils is more or less an advertising point. Yes you can increase the ratio of the windings to give you more 'potential' voltage but the spark plug will still fire at the same voltage regardless.' You could open up your plug gap to take advantage of the higher voltage but risk spark jumping to ground elsewhere other than the plug gap.. I have experimented here and exactly that has happened.

I worry about other potential side effects from increasing the ratio of the windings with an ignition system designed around the stock coils windings and resistance. There is always a trade off as well. Higher voltage = lower current and vise versa. What is the optimum ratio is the question.

Qouted from the internet on ignition systems... take it as you may..

"One item that many people do not know (or refuse to believe due to the absurd advertising they have been exposed to) about ignition systems can be said in a relative simple sentence, "The spark energy that leaves the coil and reaches the spark plug, jumping the gap and igniting the fuel mixture, is only going to be enough to do just that, no matter the coil's output rating." What that means, is that it does not matter if you had a bazillion-volt coil on your vehicle, if it only took 10,000v, 20,000v, or 8,000v to jump the gap and ignite the fuel mixture, that is all you're going to get on that cycle. These voltage levels can be seen clearly when your vehicle is connected to an oscilloscope that is monitoring spark energy. There is a little more to it that that, because the type of trigger (coil driver or coil control) also plays a part in secondary energy output."

I have seem many here that seem to be happy with aftermarket coils but seriously doubt they see a real performance advantage based on the above info.

On the Lightning Forums most swear by the OEM coils so thats what I run. Boost does put a higher demand on the ignition system as it increases the resistance to fire. That's why you decrease the plug gaps with boost.

Last edited:

SFTX

Reaction score
I don't know if they're any better than OEM, but they feel pretty solid. After replacing my coils and plugs (110k miles), my P0301 error went away and my expedition is happy again. They seem to work well and are much cheaper than OEM(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001O074JU/ref=oh_details_o09_s03_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Note: there are multiple versions, get the appropriate one for your engine. The one I linked is for the 3 valve 5.4L Triton V8.

Last edited:

markanthony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I put accels on my 5.4 due to they were cheaper then OEMs. THey due have a rough idel. I did not do for performance.