Aftermarket system not coming on in ACC mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

irishtitan

Reaction score
I think that's the right term. Its an 08 Expy and my aftermarket stereo DVD system does not come on when the key is turned to the first ACC switch. I have to actually start up the Expy for the stereo to turn on. Anyway around this?

ExpyKurt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you install the system, or did you have an installer do it for you? If you did it, make sure that you have the correct wires comming from the radio tied into the correct corrisponding wires on the ford harness... example: red constant, yellow acc.. if thiese two are swaped, the radio might still work, but under the conditions you are talking about...

I am by far no expert, just a thought, and my 2 cents

OP
OP
I

irishtitan

Reaction score
Yea I yellow to yellow and red to red didn't work. So I ran power from the battery to the red cable attached to the radio harness. Thanks for the input though.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no clue...but mine only plays when the truck is on...if i remember correctly

VTfireftr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I changed out the head unit in my 2008, I had to run a power wire directly to the fuse box to pwer the radio. All the resat of the wires in the harness worked "as advertised". Just make sure you hook up the blue wire so you turn on the antenna amp.

OP
OP
I

irishtitan

Reaction score
When I changed out the head unit in my 2008, I had to run a power wire directly to the fuse box to pwer the radio. All the resat of the wires in the harness worked "as advertised". Just make sure you hook up the blue wire so you turn on the antenna amp.

So to confirm yours plays in ACC key mode and you don't have to turn on the expy?

VTfireftr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is correct.

If I remember correctly, the yellow wire only senses when the ignition is turned on. And the main power wire (wire directly to the fuse panel) actually powers the unit and keeps the clock and memory functions working.

OP
OP
I

irishtitan

Reaction score
Just make sure you hook up the blue wire so you turn on the antenna amp.

If the blue wire wasn't hooked up would it create a lot of static while on radio stations/

That is correct.

If I remember correctly, the yellow wire only senses when the ignition is turned on. And the main power wire (wire directly to the fuse panel) actually powers the unit and keeps the clock and memory functions working.

Thanks I'm going to try this way

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats how mine works...i thought you meant no bass unless you start the engine or turn to "on"

OP
OP
I

irishtitan

Reaction score
thats how mine works...i thought you meant no bass unless you start the engine or turn to "on"

No my radio doesn't come on at all unless the engine is running. It sucks while waiting for the wife at a store. It's either no radio or movie or having to idle for a while.