Air Conditioned Seats Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DJLobo79

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and to Ford ownership. I have always been a Honda person, but after driving so many company trucks (Ford, Chevy & GMC), I decided to purchase 1 of my own. I have an 07 Expedition Limited, with 44k miles and so far, I'm loving it.

I have a Newbie Question. My question is whether the AC front seats are supposed to cool only the seat bottom, or are they also supposed to cool the seat back? I can see the perforations on both the seat cushion and the seat back, but I'm not sure if there is supposed to be air flowing from the seat back as well. My seat cushions work extremely well, but no cooling on the back of the seat. Just wondering whether i need to be worried and look into this matter, or if this is how they are designed to operate.

Thank you very much for your response.

B

bedrck46

The following was copied from the 2007 Ford service manual

Each driver and front passenger seat cushion and backrest is equipped with a thermo-electric device (TED) and blower motor assembly. Applying voltage polarity to the TED in one direction, causes it to heat. Applying voltage polarity in the opposite direction causes the TED to cool. Cabin air is drawn through the blower and distributed to each of the TED modules located in the seat cushion and backrest. The TEDs then heat or cool the incoming air depending on the control switch settings. The air is then directed into the foam pad and manifold where it is distributed along the surface of the cushion and backrest of the seat. Once activated, the CCSM maintains the heating/cooling modes until deactivated.

OP
OP
DJLobo79

DJLobo79

Reaction score
Honestly, I haven't had much time to sit down and go through the manual. Thank you for the info. Now the fun begins at trying to figure out where the fault might be.

BigDaddy747

Reaction score
So if just the bottom cools does any one know what could be wrong.

I checked both seats yesterday and after running for a while the bottom seats were about 70 deg f and the backs were both at 90

2009 Exp limited

Thanks

Ryan

RI-Matt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unzip the back of the seat and you will see the thermo device ( funny looking black piece ) You should be able to hear the little fan inside it when you turn on the heated/cooled seat. If not, but the bottom still works, I would say the thermo device needs to be replaced.

Matt

B

bedrck46

BigDaddy 747

The following was copied from the 2007 ford service manual this will hopefully give you some information for the 2009 expy

All climate controlled seats are inoperative
Fuse
Circuitry
MS-CAN network communication fault
CCSM
EATC module
VERIFY battery junction box (BJB) fuse 8 (40A) is OK. If OK, CARRY OUT the Data Links Diagnostics test using a scan tool and verify network communication of the EATC and CCSM. REFER to Section 418-00 to diagnose a module communication or network concern. If OK, CARRY OUT the CCSM on-demand self test and retrieve any DTCs. If any DTC is present, REFER to the Climate Controlled Seat Module (CCSM) Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Chart. CHECK the climate control system for correct operation. REFER to Section 412-00 for diagnosis of the EATC or climate control system. If OK, INSTALL a new CCSM and CARRY OUT programmable module installation (PMI). REFER to Climate Controlled Seat Module in this section.

A single climate controlled seat is inoperative/does not operate correctly
Circuitry
EATC module
CCSM
NOTE: If a fault occurs setting a DTC specific to only one climate controlled seat, the CCSM will disable only the affected seat outputs and allow the other seat to remain operational. CHECK for DTCs specific to the affected climate controlled seat and, if a DTC is present, REFER to the Climate Controlled Seat Module (CCSM) Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Chart.
Go To Pinpoint Test Q .

A single climate controlled seat does not operate correctly — poor or intermittent cooling/heating
Excessive sun-load or extreme cabin temperatures
Incorrectly installed thermo-electric device (TED), manifold or plenum
Airflow blockage
TED
CCSM
CARRY OUT the CCSM on-demand self test and retrieve any DTCs. If any DTC is present, REFER to the Climate Controlled Seat Module (CCSM) Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Chart. If no DTC is present, CHECK the affected seat cushion or backrest for correct installation of the climate controlled seat components (TED, manifold, plenum, air ducts and foam pad) and REPAIR as needed. If OK, CHECK for airflow restrictions (TED inlets and outlets, TED-to-manifold or plenum connections, filters and ducts) and REPAIR as needed. CHECK the TED cooling performance on the affected seat and VERIFY the system is operating correctly. REFER to Component Test — Thermo-Electric Device (TED) Cooling Performance in this section. RETEST the system for normal operation.

A single climate controlled seat does not operate correctly — exhibits poor airflow or performance
Airflow blockage
Disconnected air duct
CARRY OUT the CCSM on-demand self test and retrieve any DTCs. If any DTC is present, REFER to the Climate Controlled Seat Module (CCSM) Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Chart. If no DTC is present, CHECK the affected seat cushion or backrest for correct installation of the climate controlled seat components (TED, manifold, plenum, air ducts and foam pad) and REPAIR as needed. If OK, CHECK for airflow restrictions (TED inlets and outlets, TED-to-manifold or plenum connections, filters and ducts) and REPAIR as needed. RETEST the system for normal operation

OP
OP
DJLobo79

DJLobo79

Reaction score
Thanx for the info. I'll be unzipping today and checking the unit behind the seat. Will post results..

BigDaddy747

Reaction score
BigDaddy 747

The following was copied from the 2007 ford service manual this will hopefully give you some information for the 2009 expy

All climate controlled seats are inoperative
Fuse
Circuitry
MS-CAN network communication fault
CCSM
EATC module
VERIFY battery junction box (BJB) fuse 8 (40A) is OK. If OK, CARRY OUT the Data Links Diagnostics test using a scan tool and verify network communication of the EATC and CCSM. REFER to Section 418-00 to diagnose a module communication or network concern. If OK, CARRY OUT the CCSM on-demand self test and retrieve any DTCs. If any DTC is present, REFER to the Climate Controlled Seat Module (CCSM) Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Chart. CHECK the climate control system for correct operation. REFER to Section 412-00 for diagnosis of the EATC or climate control system. If OK, INSTALL a new CCSM and CARRY OUT programmable module installation (PMI). REFER to Climate Controlled Seat Module in this section.

A single climate controlled seat is inoperative/does not operate correctly
Circuitry
EATC module
CCSM
NOTE: If a fault occurs setting a DTC specific to only one climate controlled seat, the CCSM will disable only the affected seat outputs and allow the other seat to remain operational. CHECK for DTCs specific to the affected climate controlled seat and, if a DTC is present, REFER to the Climate Controlled Seat Module (CCSM) Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Chart.
Go To Pinpoint Test Q .

A single climate controlled seat does not operate correctly — poor or intermittent cooling/heating
Excessive sun-load or extreme cabin temperatures
Airflow blockage
TED
CCSM
CARRY OUT the CCSM on-demand self test and retrieve any DTCs. If any DTC is present, REFER to the Climate Controlled Seat Module (CCSM) Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Chart. If no DTC is present, CHECK the affected seat cushion or backrest for correct installation of the climate controlled seat components (TED, manifold, plenum, air ducts and foam pad) and REPAIR as needed. If OK, CHECK for airflow restrictions (TED inlets and outlets, TED-to-manifold or plenum connections, filters and ducts) and REPAIR as needed. CHECK the TED cooling performance on the affected seat and VERIFY the system is operating correctly. REFER to Component Test — Thermo-Electric Device (TED) Cooling Performance in this section. RETEST the system for normal operation.

A single climate controlled seat does not operate correctly — exhibits poor airflow or performance
Airflow blockage
Disconnected air duct
CARRY OUT the CCSM on-demand self test and retrieve any DTCs. If any DTC is present, REFER to the Climate Controlled Seat Module (CCSM) Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Chart. If no DTC is present, CHECK the affected seat cushion or backrest for correct installation of the climate controlled seat components (TED, manifold, plenum, air ducts and foam pad) and REPAIR as needed. If OK, CHECK for airflow restrictions (TED inlets and outlets, TED-to-manifold or plenum connections, filters and ducts) and REPAIR as needed. RETEST the system for normal operation

Awesome

I will check it out tonight! Whats weird is its both seats backs Driver and Passenger don't work.

Thanks !