Am I being paranoid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OpticonBill

Reaction score
The following is a timeline of events:
Oct 2023 - Bought used 2019 Expedition from CarMax - Everything in working order.
Nov 2023 - Bought and replaced myself the Center Console panel (Shared that experience in this forum).
Nov 2023 - Battery not holding charge...replaced with new battery myself.
Dec 2023 - Treated myself to a Christmas present and bought the recommended OBDLink MX+
Dec 2023 - Ran the ForScan Lite app with OBDLink device and saved both the Log and DTC files - No errors or warnings.
Jan 2024 - Took Expedition into Ford Service for 80k service. No issues.
Jan 2024 - Next day noticed a 3-inch diameter anti-freeze puddle under Expedition (parked in garage).
Jan 2024 - Had leak fixed at same Ford Service for $800, Reported that in this forum.
Jan 2024 - When I picked up Expedition at Ford, vehicle gave me a low battery warning but started.
Jan 2024 - Next day, went to start Expedition in garage, battery dead. Expedtion is a brick immovable.
Jan 2024 - Pulled battery, got a replacement (no charge) installed battery and ran FordScan. (see first Log and DTC below).
Feb 2024 - Took in vehicle to Ford Service. They found damaged wiring under the 2nd row seats. Repaired for $600.
Feb 2024 - Picked up vehicle, ran ForScan in parking lot before leaving. Found new errors (see second Log and DTC below).

Question: Do I keep going back to this particular Ford Service department?

First Log and DTC listing:
Log Listing:
(WARN) [15:58:23.021] DTCs in SCMJ: B137B:15-0A

DTC Listing:
===SCMJ DTC B137B:15-0A===
Code: B137B - Right Entry Output

Additional Fault Symptom:
- Circuit Short To Battery Or Open

- DTC Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC

Module: Power Fold Seat Module
===END SCMJ DTC===

Second row seats will drop when rear controls are pressed, but do not come back up.

Second Log and DTC listing
Log Listing:
(WARN) [06:07:04.003] DTCs in TCU: U0140:00-08

DTC Listing:
===TCU DTC U0140:00-08===
Code: U0140 - Lost Communication With Body Control Module

- Previously Set DTC - Not Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC

Module: Telematic Control Unit Module
===END TCU DTC===

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would be much more paranoid than you if I were on your chair. It seems the coolant leak was caused by improper operations during the 80k maintenance.

Last edited:

LegalBrief

Reaction score
Oh, my gosh!… why did you buy someone else’s headache? From CarMax? 80k miles is a mechanics friend.. did you look at the Carfax or call the dealer to have them pull up the vin history.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

OpticonBill

Reaction score
VIN report is clean only one previous owner. I don't even think the previous owner had any family because the interior has no wear. The two 2nd row window seats, which are supposed to tilt and slide forward to open up access to the third row were stuck from non-use. After a little effort they came loose and work perfectly. To look at this vehicle from any direction up close, inside and out, there is literally none of the dings and scratches one would expect at 80k. The only weird thing was the console panel, which was badly scratched up (posted this elsewhere with pictures) which was entirely incongruent with the rest of the vehicle appearance.

I still have my previous 97 Expedition, purchased in 2000 with 65k miles on it, which now has just over 500k miles. Over the years, I did self-maintenance taking care of little things like the few things I'm experiencing with the 2019. The only major work on the 97 was replacing the transmission at 320k miles, replacing the right front axle and having the entire dashboard pulled out to replace the heater core (which at the same time expendables as light bulbs were also replaced). Should I have a legit reason for not expecting the 2019 to reach high mileage?

I do want to give kudos to the Service department, when I went back about the last error, the Ford Technician took the time to show me the Ford documents on the specific error and the recommended action to take. He also took the time to give me some other pointers about the vehicle and tips on avoid trouble. For instance, he advised that I not offer to jump another vehicle by connecting battery to battery. If I feel the need to help others in need, get a portable jump battery and keep it under the deck in the back. There is too much of a risk of damaging the electronics with a surge voltage along with possibly damaging the generator. This vehicle doesn't have an alternator, it has a generator which is probably why the thing will cast $1100.00 to buy new.

As far as CarMax goes, they replaced the rear wiper assembly, replaced the hitch cover, replaced the driver side fog lamp assembly, replaced the front windshield when I spotted a crack in the lower left corner, they also covered service on the air-conditioner when I notice the air wasn't as cool as I would expect. That got fixed. They also canceled the charge to have the vehicle transported to the local CarMax facility.

As of now the only thing bad wrong with the vehicle is that it has Cooper tires on it. As a recently retired Michelin employee, I'll remedy that after I get a little more mileage out of the Coopers.

So, for now, I'm going to continue to use my local Ford Service as needed. Thanks to those who commented.

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, I'd like to hear more about that generator. I didn't know that was an option any more but mostly...why?

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Generator? Really? Electrical issues must be rampant.

My guess (note that word) is the issues were present when the 5-year old SUV was purchased and not the fault of the servicing dealer. Messing with the engine coolant system isn't part of any routine maintenance schedule and the first suspect in the battery issue is the bad 2d row seat electronics. Ford leaves the power outlets hot even with the ignition is off things like radar detectors can quickly drain my battery.

That's all the "help" I can provide but that won't stop me from a little venting. :) As competition drives up the "gizmo" level in cars the complexity needlessly increases. Just how hard is it to manually fold the 2d and 3d row seats the 1% of the time you need the cargo space? I can count on my fingers the times I've had to do this in my '17 XLT.

Hope this gets worked out!

-- Chuck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett