And the list goes on........

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moofish75

Reaction score
:troll:

1st post, but had to get the story out. Sorry so long.

Bought the 2003 XLT 5.4 Premium in October of 2002 w/4500 miles on it (VP of finance at dealership demo). I love the truck for all its versatility and spaciousness. But, here's the issues so far:

1)
Door adjar light came on the first winter. Had to take it in and they said the sensor was dirty. They just sprayed Wd40 in the drivers door latch. That fixed the problem.

2)
Noticed a few bubbles on rear tail gate. Almost like rust, but on an aluminum body???? Took it in, and the body shop people said that someone at the factory must have fingered the piece after it was cleaned. If the aluminum isn't totally cleaned, then the paint will start to pull away. This was my case. They sanded, cleaned and painted the tail gate in the affected areas. Can hardly tell that they were there when you look at it point blank.

3)
The lock on the driver side that pops out the door, fell into the door. The door still locked, but it looked weird. Also, noticed a strange clunking sound when quick shifting into 4W part time. Took the beast in. The sound was something to do with the axle and too much play. They had to install some sort of springs on each side. I guess this is a known problem for some vehicles. The door was also fixed at this time.

4)
This is the most disturbing one. It is now January 2004. I have 30,500 miles on it. Pouring down 35 degree rain in Ohio. Noticed that the headlights were dim. Noticed a whinning sound as well. Noticed interiors were dim a bit also. Got out of car and checked and sure enough the lights were dim. Dash lights for Battery, parking brake and ABS are now on. Shut car off and tried to restart. The damn thing is dead. No cranking. Got a jump. Drove 3 miles, and same symptoms. Got jump again, drove 5 miles and the same, but now I am home. Shut car off, and then tried to restart. Dead. Waited 5 hours, tried to restart, and it somehow started after a weird hesitation. All gauges pinned out for 20-30 seconds, then all was okay. Shut car off, and then restarted. Hmmm..... Woke up next day, tried to start, nothing. Got jump. Took to dealer. The damn alternator crapped out on it. 30k miles????!!!!!!

I can only hope that this is the last of the problems. I love driving the truck, and use it to its fullest for hauling, towing etc.

Any others out there with any of these symptoms?

Thanks from the new guy.
:reddevil: :shootout:

Last edited:

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry your experiencing so many issues. I have an 03 that I bought in Nov of 02 and the only thing that has vere gone wrong with it was a bad seal in the headlight that was replaced. Knock on wood. I love my expedition an wouldnt trade it for anything else.

G

I seen a tread where someone else's starter has also gone bad. Not a good sign. I made fure to get an extended warranty on mine 5/75,000.

daveplot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Luckly I haven't had anything major go wrong.

Only replacements so far that have or are going to be done are:

Entire front passenger seat
2nd and 3rd row seat frames
front passenger door weather stripping
front passenger door door latch
drivers mirror
front hood repainted
TSB: 030604 "Install S Spring clutch spring into front axle differential"
AC recharged

I also got an extended warranty 7/75

G

Currently my 3 month old Expedition is in the shop again for:

Replacement of both front door weather strips & door latches (for rattles)
Installation of the clutch spring in the front axle. (<40 mph front humming/grinding)

I'll also get new regulators for both doors as the tech at the Ford Dealership broke both when trying to take the door apart for the latche replacement. At least they gave me a loaner!

I've also had to have the driver's mirror replaced due to "haze" in the mirror and the hood latch adjusted.

Overall, it's probably the best driving vehicle I've ever owned, but hopefully this will be the last of the issues for such a new vehicle.
(One can always dream).

mtnman64

Reaction score
Hood Repainted
drivers door rattle - still working on this one
squeek in front passenger dash - airbag needed reseated and used foam to eliminate the noise
brake dust - we all know this one
shake/vibration driving - still fighting with Ford on this.