Annoying Engine Cooling Fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2018 EXPY

Reaction score
Hello All!

i have the 2018 4X4 XLT with this very annoying problem! whenever i turn on the A/C - even if the car is on cold start - the engine cooling fan immediately starts on the highest possible speed, then stays on until i turn the A/C off. this has been happening since the day i have bought the car with 0 miles on the ODO. For sure this is not normal no matter what the dealer says.

After doing some online search, it seems that the A/C refrigerant return line has a pressure sensor that could be reading too high and commands the fan to its job, which is a common problem in the F-150s. however, i have not yet gone back to the stealership to argue against this point yet.

has any one had the same issue before? or maybe experienced a similar issue with different cause?

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a leak in the transmission cooler line at the trans cooler. This made my fan run at high speed but also had the temp gauge at almost max level. It would only leak when pressurized, obviously.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Recall...err "Field Service Action" was done. #18N01 as well as the engine idle shutdown #18B21

OP
OP

2018 EXPY

Reaction score
I had a leak in the transmission cooler line at the trans cooler. This made my fan run at high speed but also had the temp gauge at almost max level. It would only leak when pressurized, obviously.

that look serious. anyhow, my trans temperature is normal so i do not believe this is the same thing. i hope they fixed yours under warranty.

OP
OP

2018 EXPY

Reaction score
Whats your build date? January 2, 2018 through February 6, 2018 have a recall.

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/contaminated-refrigerant-issue.37306/

I've gone through the shared thread, good that they have fixed yours, but taking 8 days for that fix is too long.

the build date for my vehicle is march 16th 2018. with no recalls or "outstanding field service actions". but you never know, it could be the same as i am experiencing the same issue in the peak heat. i will pay the dealer another visit.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've gone through the shared thread, good that they have fixed yours, but taking 8 days for that fix is too long.

the build date for my vehicle is march 16th 2018. with no recalls or "outstanding field service actions". but you never know, it could be the same as i am experiencing the same issue in the peak heat. i will pay the dealer another visit.

I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4, purchased new, and I live in the Midwest where summer temperatures can reach 95 degrees F.

When the ambient temperature is about 90 degrees F or higher, the radiator cooling fans shift to a higher RPM mode, and make a VERY loud roaring noise (with the a/c on). There is no information in the vehicle owner’s manual about this excessive noise. It is so loud, it can be heard inside the passenger compartment with the windows closed and the a/c operating.

I have had people comment to me that “something is wrong” while stopped and gassing the vehicle, with the engine running (a/c on and passengers inside vehicle). I have never towed or hauled heavy cargo with the vehicle, and noise occurs with only the driver inside.

I returned the vehicle to the dealer who said the roaring noise was normal, but they reprogrammed the HVAC controller (noise still occurs).

I know my vehicle is different from yours - but perhaps the 2018+ models have the “extra high speed” fan mode, when a certain condition is met - and yours is stuck in this mode?

I would return the vehicle to the dealership, or stop when the noise is occurring so they can document it, and schedule an appointment for evaluation and repair.

Good luck.

OP
OP

2018 EXPY

Reaction score
I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4, purchased new, and I live in the Midwest where summer temperatures can reach 95 degrees F.

When the ambient temperature is about 90 degrees F or higher, the radiator cooling fans shift to a higher RPM mode, and make a VERY loud roaring noise (with the a/c on). There is no information in the vehicle owner’s manual about this excessive noise. It is so loud, it can be heard inside the passenger compartment with the windows closed and the a/c operating.

I have had people comment to me that “something is wrong” while stopped and gassing the vehicle, with the engine running (a/c on and passengers inside vehicle). I have never towed or hauled heavy cargo with the vehicle, and noise occurs with only the driver inside.

I returned the vehicle to the dealer who said the roaring noise was normal, but they reprogrammed the HVAC controller (noise still occurs).

I know my vehicle is different from yours - but perhaps the 2018+ models have the “extra high speed” fan mode, when a certain condition is met - and yours is stuck in this mode?

I would return the vehicle to the dealership, or stop when the noise is occurring so they can document it, and schedule an appointment for evaluation and repair.

Good luck.

appreciate the detailed reply. i really do not no about this "extra high speed fan", but regardless of the ambient temperature i am getting this high fan speed. even at dead cold morning start.
the plan is as you mentioned, take it to the dealer and show him the fan noise with and without the A/C on.

Brian Vazquez

Reaction score
Hello All!

i have the 2018 4X4 XLT with this very annoying problem! whenever i turn on the A/C - even if the car is on cold start - the engine cooling fan immediately starts on the highest possible speed, then stays on until i turn the A/C off. this has been happening since the day i have bought the car with 0 miles on the ODO. For sure this is not normal no matter what the dealer says.

After doing some online search, it seems that the A/C refrigerant return line has a pressure sensor that could be reading too high and commands the fan to its job, which is a common problem in the F-150s. however, i have not yet gone back to the stealership to argue against this point yet.

has any one had the same issue before? or maybe experienced a similar issue with different cause?