Anyone else have weird paint like this? Also, how would I secure a loose mirror blinker?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay, so, I'm just more curious about this than anything- How come my paint is really bright red on the front fenders and the hood, yet everywhere else it's more of a muted red? Is that just something that happens?

IMG_20180718_1152490.jpg

Also, my passenger side mirror blinker thingy (on the underside) is loose and hanging down a little, is there a certain way to fix that or can I just slap a piece of tape on there and call it a day? (sorry for the terrible pictures, I never thought to snap one of the mirror itself, I can get one later)

unknown.png unknown.png

One last thing... If any of you happen to know what's up with the AC here that would be nice too:

2004 5.4L - A/C System Questions

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, it's probably been wrecked and repaired, and that's the newer paint you see there on the front cap. Did you get a CarFax report with the purchase ? Always a good idea to pull one on any used vehicle you're serious about, before buying.
As far as the courtesy lights on the exterior mirrors go. Check the spring clip is in place that sticks up through the bottom of the mirror body. That's what holds that end of the lens up tight. Also check the retaining screw at the inner edge of the lens, on the bottom of the mirror body. Push the mirror body full forward (as far forward as it will go...) and look up under the mirror body and you'll see the retaining screw up there. Just make sure it's secure. You can get replacement lenses on ebay. I replaced mine with clear ones and use amber and clear LED bulbs.

Here's the spring clip behind the mirror glass that helps secure the lens to the mirror body..... push the mirror glass to gain access to it...

UHBq0o.jpg

Here's the retaining screw at the inner edge of the lens .... push the mirror body full forward to gain access to it....

Ml7W6f.jpg

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It definitely was repainted, mine was left side. They never put back striping is how I knew. Pro job other than that boner. Didn't notice it till I was waxing it one day. Stripe on left fender, but nowhere furthur back.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like others said, likely been repainted in portions.
Though, Reds especially metallic reds can fade in unusual fashions. Differences in temperatures for the body panels can make a substantial difference over time.

I had a laser red 1996 Mustang Gt. I know it had never been wrecked and the metal above the windshield that met the convertible top faded the quickest. The trunk lid and hood faded rather quickly too. When I sold it in 2012 the panels were almost all noticeably different.

OP
OP
Prince_Polaris

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No wrecks, guys! I checked that site, and boy, the 16 mpg it was tested for originally would sure be nice because I'm running at 7 for now.

unknown.png
Yeah, it's probably been wrecked and repaired, and that's the newer paint you see there on the front cap. Did you get a CarFax report with the purchase ? Always a good idea to pull one on any used vehicle you're serious about, before buying.
As far as the courtesy lights on the exterior mirrors go. Check the spring clip is in place that sticks up through the bottom of the mirror body. That's what holds that end of the lens up tight. Also check the retaining screw at the inner edge of the lens, on the bottom of the mirror body. Push the mirror body full forward (as far forward as it will go...) and look up under the mirror body and you'll see the retaining screw up there. Just make sure it's secure. You can get replacement lenses on ebay. I replaced mine with clear ones and use amber and clear LED bulbs.

Here's the spring clip behind the mirror glass that helps secure the lens to the mirror body..... push the mirror glass to gain access to it...

Here's the retaining screw at the inner edge of the lens .... push the mirror body full forward to gain access to it....

Okay, I have a screwdriver in the car so I'll have to check that later!

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
7 mpg?! Sounds like you need to put your head under the hood and tune her up! I get 13 in city and 15 or so on the highway.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, maybe not "wrecked" because the front bumper looks to be faded like the main body of the truck. But it does look like the hood and fender have been painted. How's the other side fender look ? If you're only getting 7 mpg, something is seriously wrong. Should get at least 16 around town and about 18 on the highway.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those front fenders and hood have definelty been repainted.

Last edited: