Anyone with CCD Run a 20” Winter Tire Wheel Set?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lghtspeedz

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone with the 22” Wheel and CCD configuration has run 20” wheels and winter tires? I’m getting winter tires for this thing (I live in Upstate NY where we tend to get a lot of snow and ice). I’m not sure I want to go smaller, but I know my shop will suggest that. How does it ride? My worry is it will feel way to floaty, bouncy, and wander down the road.

rs4-380

Reaction score
I run 18's for the winter on mine with CCD. It doesn't drive any worse then it does with 22's.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I run 18's for the winter on mine with CCD. It doesn't drive any worse then it does with 22's.
Also run 18's and depending on the driving style I actually get a bit better mileage than my 22's in the summer. Obvious weight reduction is obvious. Also, 18 inch tires might be cheaper than 20's?

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone with the 22” Wheel and CCD configuration has run 20” wheels and winter tires? I’m getting winter tires for this thing (I live in Upstate NY where we tend to get a lot of snow and ice). I’m not sure I want to go smaller, but I know my shop will suggest that. How does it ride? My worry is it will feel way to floaty, bouncy, and wander down the road.
All depends on what you really want. I plowed snow for years using 3/4 ton pickups in New England and through those years found that anything other than a dedicated snow tire was not going to cut it. Blizzak tires work like a bear. They can get pricey but you get what you pay for. I'd buy 4 of them at a time with wheels from Tire Rack. They'd arrive mounted, all I had to do was air them up and put them on the trucks. The only drawback was they had to come off when it got warm. The tread is soft and sticky with a ton of sipes and would about peel off on hot pavement. The all season tires well... they are like a swiss army knife, they do a bunch of things, but none of them really well. ymmv

OP
OP
L

Lghtspeedz

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Ok, I will consider looking at smaller wheel options. When I do this, I tend to look for wheel takeoffs on eBay. I've had Blizzaks and Michelin Xice before. The DM-V2 is decent. I was hoping to get a set of Nokian's if I can find them. My wife has them on her CRV and they are impressive.

This was the feedback I needed though. Much appreciated!

MattG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm looking at the continental viking7, great reviews and feedback. I am sticking with 22s for winter and these come in the size needed.

Allan Villa

Reaction score
All depends on what you really want. I plowed snow for years using 3/4 ton pickups in New England and through those years found that anything other than a dedicated snow tire was not going to cut it. Blizzak tires work like a bear. They can get pricey but you get what you pay for. I'd buy 4 of them at a time with wheels from Tire Rack. They'd arrive mounted, all I had to do was air them up and put them on the trucks. The only drawback was they had to come off when it got warm. The tread is soft and sticky with a ton of sipes and would about peel off on hot pavement. The all season tires well... they are like a swiss army knife, they do a bunch of things, but none of them really well. ymmv
I wish I have blizzaks but they’re really pricey. I have Grabber Arctic Tires-General Tire Grabber Arctic Tires - 275/55R20XL and the ride is better than the 22’s.

Fizzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Ok, I will consider looking at smaller wheel options. When I do this, I tend to look for wheel takeoffs on eBay. I've had Blizzaks and Michelin Xice before. The DM-V2 is decent. I was hoping to get a set of Nokian's if I can find them. My wife has them on her CRV and they are impressive.

This was the feedback I needed though. Much appreciated!

Platinum w/ CCD, running 20x9 winters, on Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 winters.

Rides smooth and comfortable - moreso than the stock 22s. And the rubber is awesome. Surefooted down to -35c (-31f), solid on highway iced over roads, ploughed through waist deep snow like it was nothing.

full

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
++++ for any Nokians - don't have the fully dedicated snows (which would definitely be best option for severe winters) but i've got the 3 peak symbol Rotiiva AT-Plus's 10ply on stock 20's all year & they are pretty unstoppable in my experience, even in northern maine peak of winter when visiting family. highly recommend the Nokians - not just for their winter performance but the winter rubber lasts longer & can also tolerate the pavement better than any other brand IMO... they pretty much have the snow / ice / pavement thing dialed in. run them on every vehicle for almost 20 years & can't praise them enough.