Armor/skid plates - 4th Gen Expedition Max

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flying N

Reaction score
Last edited:

lurch

Reaction score
1/8 aluminum does not seem like a very effective skid plate for a full size SUV. Jeep skid plates often use 3/16 steel, and Jeeps are much lighter.

OP
OP
F

Flying N

Reaction score
1/8 aluminum does not seem like a very effective skid plate for a full size SUV. Jeep skid plates often use 3/16 steel, and Jeeps are much lighter.
I have a built Jeep with lots of armor as well. I am not looking to rock crawl the Expy, but Aluminum is a lot stronger than what is on it now, and probably stronger than what is stock on the FX4/Timberline, but IDK.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a built Jeep with lots of armor as well. I am not looking to rock crawl the Expy, but Aluminum is a lot stronger than what is on it now, and probably stronger than what is stock on the FX4/Timberline, but IDK.

The stock front plate on the TImberline is thick heavy steel. Aluminum skid plates are silly. Aluminum is light yes but its a soft metal. You land a 6k vehicle on a rock it will bend the Aluminum like butter and most likely cause damage to parts which sit right next the skid plate. There is a reason you do not see alum in wide use on frames, bikes, bull dozers, tanks, etc.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’d really not recommend these for off road use. For comparison 1/8” aluminum to steel, the weight savings goes to aluminum but the strength is no contest. steel alloy of the same dimensions as aluminum is nearly always more rigid, puncture resistant, and less likely to deform, but is more dense.
For minor under body protection from some light road debris, sure. This will be better than the felt that you have stock.