Battery or alternator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

tepponogu

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. The alternator tested bad, so I'm looking for another one. I just got back from three hours in two junk yards and nothing. Guess I'm dishing out the $150 for a new one.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. The alternator tested bad, so I'm looking for another one. I just got back from three hours in two junk yards and nothing. Guess I'm dishing out the $150 for a new one.

make sure you have a lifetime warrenty one. that way when it goes out again you get a new one no questions asked. haha

OokeyIkky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For you guys that have had to get an alternator, where did you decide to get it from and why?

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Just to be clear, is the alternator bad, or do you need to replace the voltage regulator? Big difference there. You can replace the VR and put in new brushes cheaper than a new alternator.

Who tested your alternator? Autozone? I think they would love to sell you a new one.

I would only consider buying a new of If someone could prove that mine was permanently fried, and\or I wanted one with a higher output for additional current draw.

Then, if I bought one, I would get a heavy duty one with a lifetime warranty from a company that backs it up, no questions asked. Take it from someone with lessons learned.

Also, this is your golden opportunity to clean all of the connections, your battery terminals, the ground lug, the alternator cable lug, everything gets a good once-over with some fine sandpaper etc so you have good solid connections when the part is replaced.

Last edited:

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
orielys, or then kragen. lifetime warrenty. new. and it was pretty cheap at the time. napa was almost twice as much. and when i did change mine, i all ready had new battery terminals on, and i just cleaned the alternator terminal.