Battery replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the auto start/stop disabled so hopefully I’ll never have the issues associated with the battery not being charged enough. Interested to see how long my battery lasts. My previous DD was a 2011 Grand Cherokee Summit that I bought new. My parents have it now and the battery was replaced just shy of 10 years old. It was even still starting the vehicle fine, the only reason it was replaced was the air suspension failed and the dealer spent 2 weeks trying to figure out why they couldn’t program the new compressor, only to find the battery was failing. So my parents bought a new one. That battery was AGM, is under the passenger seat, and I always garaged it. I’m guessing all those factors helped with longevity.

TheSpecialMan

Reaction score
I have an '18 plat with about 44,000 miles and fairly normal driving habits (about 45 minutes per day, with occasional road trips) and had a dead battery one morning several months ago. I figured the kids must have left a light on or something because it was fine after that.
Then this past week I've had the battery die on me twice. Once in the morning after sitting all night and once in the parking lot of a grocery store after a short ride. I did get messages from the FordPass app both times notifying me that the car had entered deep sleep mode to conserve battery energy, though It jump started with no problems both times.
I took it to AutoZone to get tested and the guy said the battery tested fine while off and when the car was running he tested it again and said the alternator appears to be fine.
Anyone have ideas on what could be draining the battery? I can't find any evidence of anything left on when the car is parked. Is it just time to get a new one despite what the AutoZone test shows?
I do have the auto-start disabled, so that shouldn't be a factor. Time to invest in a jump starter box anyway so I don't keep getting stranded; anyone have any recs there?

Bow512

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an '18 plat with about 44,000 miles and fairly normal driving habits (about 45 minutes per day, with occasional road trips) and had a dead battery one morning several months ago. I figured the kids must have left a light on or something because it was fine after that.
Then this past week I've had the battery die on me twice. Once in the morning after sitting all night and once in the parking lot of a grocery store after a short ride. I did get messages from the FordPass app both times notifying me that the car had entered deep sleep mode to conserve battery energy, though It jump started with no problems both times.
I took it to AutoZone to get tested and the guy said the battery tested fine while off and when the car was running he tested it again and said the alternator appears to be fine.
Anyone have ideas on what could be draining the battery? I can't find any evidence of anything left on when the car is parked. Is it just time to get a new one despite what the AutoZone test shows?
I do have the auto-start disabled, so that shouldn't be a factor. Time to invest in a jump starter box anyway so I don't keep getting stranded; anyone have any recs there?

Exact same thing my 18 did. I just bought a new battery as I figured it had a short in it as it would read dead one second and charged the next.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
northstar batteries are where its at...highest dissipating rate in the industry...i have the Gp 65 under the hood which is a agm battery...i have 2 northstar NS480AGM batteries for my audio system that i charge using NOCO agm/lithium charger with built-in charge detection so you cant overcharge

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oem batteries are acid batteries anyways and only last 2-3 yrs

ShawnP

Reaction score
Just replaced my 2020 Expy battery with 5K miles. I have a 2018 F-150 with 22K...still have not replaced the battery.