Bet some of Wish We Had A Larger/Extended Fuel Tank Now...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lscrx

Reaction score
I routinely hit 17-20 on the interstate at 80 mph, even with some headwind. A week ago, we had my wife’s forester on the same stretch, same speed, typical headwind- mpg was as low as 14 never hit 20 mpg for a 50 mile stretch.

I think think your Forester is broken... they're not great for high-speed cruising fuel economy, but they should be able to get 20+mpg still.

I used to drive a Nissan Juke as my commuter car, and with it's 1.6 turbo and a 13-gallon tank I was only able to get around 250 miles/tank (23mpg average). Now with the Expedition I regularly hit 20-22mpg on interstate trips, running 80mph, and can make it 550-600 miles between fill-ups.

Defyant

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bump for an old tread....

Has anyone found a replacement tank with larger capacity?

mwar99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Or the tank from a Max... they're probably interchangeable. They offer the 36 gallon tank as an option on the pickups.
My guess would be you need the extra 12 inches in length to fit the tank, otherwise why wouldn't they offer it as an option on the regular?

01f1502wd

Reaction score
my old 01 F150 has a 26gal tank, but compared to my 2012 f150 with the 36gal the extra is just so nice. Our new 21 max with nearly 28 is decent. Haven't taken a road trip yet where we go through a full tank without stopping.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stupid of Ford to reduce the fuel capacity on the standard length from previous 28 gal. Just another reason for keeping my current 2017 Expy
They had to. The repackaging of the interior and 10 speed forced a smaller fuel tank. Same thing happened when gm redid their fs suvs.