Bilstein 5100s question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adwmac6

Reaction score
I have a 2015 Limited. 130k miles. 2WD. Stock. Non-CCD.
I'm having a hard time finding a definite answer specific to my model year.
I have bought, but not yet installed Bilstein 5100s for front (24-285056) and rear (24-285063).
I am away from the vehicle, but want to be sure I have everything I need for the install once I'm back home.
Can I reuse the spring perches? Or are they welded to the factory shock?
I'm reading that the years of production do make a difference, but I'm reading different years listed.
For those that have done this install..... what height setting did you put the Bilsteins on?
Did you reuse the shock mount, or purchase replacements?
Any regrets?
Any advice?

Speedboosted

Reaction score
Perches need to be reused in some fashion, there's not a known available replacement perch to buy. I really don't think any of them are actually welded, I think some are a tighter fit than others due to age and corrosion.

Your shocks will have a little install guide which lists the heights each perch setting provides, they are accurate, so just pick the ones you want.

I haven't installed them yet but I'll be reusing the upper mounts, I have half the mileage you do though. At 130k I'd probably replace them if they looked a little worn out.

cywebit

Reaction score
I got those exact same shocks for my 2016, only installed the rears so far, you won't need anything except a heavy duty spring compressor or press. Perches come off and will fit fine on the Bilsteins

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The rear shock question- it all depends on what type of rear shocks you have. If you have the Nivomat “self leveling” shocks, then that spring perch is welded to the shock body. It’s too big in diameter anyway.

It’s easy to tell what you have before tearing it apart. Just put your hand around it and compare to the Bilstein or to the front shock. You’ll be able to tell. The Nivomat shock is quite a bit fatter.

Speedboosted

Reaction score
I have a 2015 Limited. 130k miles. 2WD. Stock. Non-CCD.
I'm having a hard time finding a definite answer specific to my model year.
I have bought, but not yet installed Bilstein 5100s for front (24-285056) and rear (24-285063).
I am away from the vehicle, but want to be sure I have everything I need for the install once I'm back home.
Can I reuse the spring perches? Or are they welded to the factory shock?
I'm reading that the years of production do make a difference, but I'm reading different years listed.
For those that have done this install..... what height setting did you put the Bilsteins on?
Did you reuse the shock mount, or purchase replacements?
Any regrets?
Any advice?
To follow up on this, I'm doing mine right now. I can confirm on my 2017 with the standard struts (non CCD, non leveling), the perches come right off with 1-2 smacks from a 3lb hammer. I'm also having no issue doing them with a standard rental spring compressor from O'Reilly's/Autozone. Using this exact one: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...macpherson-strut-spring-compressor/ren1/67051
I also rented a 30mm axle nut socket from them because I don't have that size in my box.

The rear lower shock bolt (30mm nut) is an insane 406 ft/lb of torque that broke my 1/2 breaker bar, but my trusty Craftsman C2 1/2 impact got it loose. It's going back together with a 250 ft/lb torque wrench, some more hits with the impact, and red loctite lol.

I'm using Eibach struts up front in hopes of a smoother ride. Part number E60-35-037-06-10 with the perch on the 3rd highest setting gives just over 1" lift on my 2017 4wd EL. I wish I would've done the highest perch (4th), but whatever. I only have one side of the rears done, using Bilstein 24-285063, but will be going with the 1.1" setting to keep things mostly level. Mine sits level stock due to the roof top tent and awning adding roughly 200lbs of constant weight on the rear axle. I'll post some pictures in the next few days with things wrapped up.

Last edited: