Blower motor module recall - Charged $500 for resistor replacement as well

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
they wanted to take apart the dash to replace wiring that 'may have been burnt'.
The only wires that would be burnt from resistor is the pigtail, There will be no burnt wires anywhere else from this. Maybe going to another dealer might be your best option.

Calman2k

Reaction score
I had issues with my '16 too. Only I had a pigtail start acting up a few years ago and I replaced it. Funny thing is, Ford had the wrong pigtail listed in the parts list. I ended up getting this, and it fit perfect. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XDRGSV6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
I would be willing to wager the main problems are the pigtail, not the resistor. The resistor has a heatsink on it to keep it from cooking. I just replaced the pigtail again a couple weeks ago. I used crimped connectors, as shown on the Amazon listing, but had used my own that fit better. Sure enough, the wire inside the connector (the stripped back part) was all burned and oxidized. I'll be taking it in for the recall soon, knowing the resistor and pigtail are good, so they shouldn't be able to get more money out of me. Ford: "Hold my beer."

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I feel your pain as I experienced the exact same issue with my ‘16 Expedition. Last year in April my a/c was intermittent. Took it to the dealership for a diagnosis. They told me it was the blower motor & resistor which was under warranty. However, the blower motor/ resistor harness was not. WTF?!?! The harness was damaged/ burnt pins due to the faulty motor & resistor.

They quoted me approximately $725-750. I politely told them they were crazy. So, told them to do the warranty repair of the blower motor & resistor. I picked up a new harness for approximately $65-70 if I remember correctly. It’s four wires… not hard to wire up at all. I’m a retired Army helicopter electrician/ avionics technician, so I’ve got all the tools and materials to complete the task.

Got it installed and working over 18mos now. I warn against getting an aftermarket harness!!! More specifically AutoZone’s Dorman parts. Got two connectors that had an issue lining up with the receptacle end. In other words, you plug the male/ female end’s together (it was a snug fit) and get nothing. This was because the male pins did not line up with the female receptacles. This happened with the replacement the gave me as well. What drew me to AutoZone was the price; $35. The time spent on my knee’s in the Arizona spring wasn’t fun. Should’ve just used the Ford part from the beginning!!!

Oh, my second issue with a Dorman part was with a MAF sensor for my ‘04 Expedition. Same issue… pins didn’t line up.

CattleCracker

Reaction score
Let me know if these seems shady to you all.

My wife took our 2015 Expedition in for the recall to be peformed because our AC kept going out. When I reached under the unit was super hot. Obviously not good there.

They performed the replacement of the module and when my wife picked it up, she was pulling out and the AC still wasn't working. Went back in and they came out to check things. Apparently the guy got shocked when he touched two melted wires. I go pick my wife up so they can fix the wires.

The next morning, they call my wife and tell her these wires are not part of the recall because it's the blower resistor and not the module and we're going to have to pay around $500 to fix it.

I called them up and said I have a hard time figuring out how this cannot be part of the recall. He said there's nothing they can do and I can call the nationl customer service line.

I plan to do so, but wanted to get input from you all first.
I am going through the same thing. I am going to call my state's highway safety and motor vehicles department as well as the NHTSA to see if I can get anywhere. The wires to the blower resistor get unsafely hot. I feel they are a fire hazard. Is it possible that the recall and the issue of the resistor are not related?

psnow2000

Reaction score
I literally just got off the phone with the local Ford dealer for the same issue. They quoted $740!!! Parts are less than $100 when sourced elsewhere. The Service Manager did suggest calling into Ford Customer Service to complain about it since the recall does state that there may be damage to the Blower Motor Resistor and the wiring connector but they will not cover it under warranty (they did call Ford to try to get approval and it got declined).

rozman4

Reaction score
Thanks all, really appreciate the input and time you took to respond. Going to be calling the National Customer service and we'll see what happens.
I just had the same issue after the recall. The charge was $468 here in NY. Now the rear blend door for the AC/Heat appears to be stripped and making a loud banging. This will be my 3rd time in the dealer AFTER the recall. I am at my wit's end! Let me know if the National Customer Service results in anything.